lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Default 2004 CC Precedent “main driver OFF” fault...

I’ve been working on this cart for a minute now and can’t get any kind of solenoid engagement. I was getting throttle percentage read outs but no foot input with the pedal pressed down so I jumpered out the small plug on the MCOR and got the foot input but still no solenoid click and also I’m getting the “main driver OFF” fault popping up. I’m going to replace the MCOR because I’m almost sure it’s gone but has anyone else seen this before? Im hoping it’s not a controller issue but it may be from what I’m reading. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 2004 CC Precedent “main driver OFF” fault...

Before you replace the MCOR, check and see what you are missing at the solenoid small posts (48vdc + & -). If it is the Neg, then it is probably the controller. If you have both present, it is a failed solenoid.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:39 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

MAIN DRIVER OFF means that the controller has failed in it's ability to turn on the solenoid. I've seen this happen a few times where the coil suppression diode on the solenoid (if equipped) fails and creates a direct short between the positive and negative posts of the solenoid. This will damage the solenoid driver in the controller and if you install a new controller without changing the diode and/or solenoid (if equipped with internal diode) you're going to ruin another controller as well.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #4
twilliams81
Gone Wild

I checked it earlier and was getting full voltage on all posts of the solenoid (both big and small) with a different MCOR that was showing throttle % as well as allowing “foot input” readings. I was getting full voltage on all solenoid posts WITHOUT pressing the pedal though and when I DID press the pedal I did NOT get a click or cart movement and still getting the DRIVER OFF fault. I was going to change the solenoid in the AM to see if it was the culprit from what Nolefan said earlier.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:52 PM   #5
twilliams81
Gone Wild

What exactly is a “coil suppression” diode? Is that the small diode across the small posts? This is the typical factory solenoid that’s on this cart...if that’s the diode that’s cool I just have never heard of it being called a suppression diode before.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:40 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilliams81 View Post
I checked it earlier and was getting full voltage on all posts of the solenoid (both big and small) -snip-
If you got "full" pack voltage on the controller side of the solenoid, then it has failed internally and is stuck in the closed position. With a pre-charge resistor installed, you should see ~1 to ~1.5vdc less on the controller side then you do on the battery side. Then when the solenoid closes in, it comes up to full pack voltage. So be sure to double check it again and be sure it was not just a volt or so less on the controller side.

And I am a little loss too how you had the 48v + & - on the 2 small post when you had not depressed the Go Pedal as there should be no activation there... If you cut off the key did all the voltage on the small posts go away? If not, then it may have physically broke inside and pack voltage is getting to the energizing coil and you are seeing the voltage from the pack and not the positive activation.

And Tahoe is by far the expert compared to me so definitely take his experience into this equation....
Old 05-21-2018, 10:43 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilliams81 View Post
What exactly is a “coil suppression” diode? Is that the small diode across the small posts?
Yes, coil suppression diode, spark suppression diode, etc. but it is to protect the circuit when the coil opens up and breaks the field. That is why the banded side goes towards the positive activation wire.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:46 PM   #8
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Yes it’s possible I could have been wrong about my readings..I’ll double check everything In the AM and report back

10-4 on the diode..it’s nice to know exactly what purpose it serves [emoji1360][emoji1360]

Old 05-21-2018, 11:03 PM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

And be sure when you tested that solenoid small posts it was like this:

(Cart jacked up, key on, rocker switch in Fwd, and pedal depressed)
And remove both wires from the solenoid before testing in case there is something damaged on the inside of your solenoid
1- Take your DVM and place the red lead on the solid blue wire and the black lead on the main pack negative. You should get 48vdc
2- Next, take your DVM and place the black lead on the blue/white stripe wire and the red lead on the main pack positive. You should get 48vdc
Old 05-22-2018, 06:36 AM   #10
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

You could try this taken from the service manual..If the fault doesn't clear, it is the controller like Tahoe said..

Disconnect the batteries and allow the
speed controller capacitors to discharge.

Reconnect the batteries and see if the
symptom returns
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car