lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2018, 08:53 PM   #11
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Cart only running half speed full charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winyah View Post
-snip-
The obc has been bypassed due to not taking charge. Also when charging have been letting charger get to about 5 dc Amos and stops there.
You are completely ruining those batteries for golf cart sustained usage. The OBC bypass is for testing purposes only. You cannot run it with a Powerdrive Charger for very long as you are not getting the algorithm it was designed to be used with.

You need to replace the OBC or by you a smart charger ASAP.

In the meantime, when you have it on charge, use a DVM and place it on the main pack Neg and Pos to monitor the charge voltage. It needs to get to ~61/62vdc before unplugging it.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2018, 09:08 PM   #12
Winyah
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
You are completely ruining those batteries for golf cart sustained usage. The OBC bypass is for testing purposes only. You cannot run it with a Powerdrive Charger for very long as you are not getting the algorithm it was designed to be used with.

You need to replace the OBC or by you a smart charger ASAP.

In the meantime, when you have it on charge, use a DVM and place it on the main pack Neg and Pos to monitor the charge voltage. It needs to get to ~61/62vdc before unplugging it.
Oh really I had no clue the charger would mess up the batteries. I figured as long as I kept an eye on the charger and unplugged it when fully charge it would be fine like any other charger.
Winyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:12 PM   #13
Winyah
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
It should beep in forward as well as reverse. Your speed sensor is bad.

Revolution Golf Carts as already mentioned. No Ebay or Amazon crap or you'll be going through this again in a couple of months.
I also just tested the solenoid with one lead lifted I was reading around 230 ohms when it should have be OL. When energized Was reading around 70 ohms and output voltage was around 52vdc. So I believe I have a bad solenoid. I went back and rolled the cart down the driveway in forward and it beeped. I just didn’t roll it far enough the first time.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:20 PM   #14
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Oh really I had no clue the charger would mess up the batteries. I figured as long as I kept an eye on the charger and unplugged it when fully charge it would be fine like any other charger.
Unfortunately No, the Powerdrive system is designed to work with an OBC as it handles the charging algorithm to correctly charge the batteries. If you remove the OBC from the triggering/control system, it is just an old style manual charger....
Old 05-31-2018, 09:20 PM   #15
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
I also just tested the solenoid with one lead lifted I was reading around 230 ohms when it should have be OL. When energized Was reading around 70 ohms and output voltage was around 52vdc. So I believe I have a bad solenoid. I went back and rolled the cart down the driveway in forward and it beeped. I just didn’t roll it far enough the first time.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:37 PM   #16
Winyah
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Unfortunately No, the Powerdrive system is designed to work with an OBC as it handles the charging algorithm to correctly charge the batteries. If you remove the OBC from the triggering/control system, it is just an old style manual charger....
What’s wrong with it being a normal charger? As long as I keep an eye on it and unplug it when when fully charged?
Old 05-31-2018, 09:43 PM   #17
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

How do you know when to unplug it? The computer is pretty smart at what it does.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:45 PM   #18
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
What’s wrong with it being a normal charger? As long as I keep an eye on it and unplug it when when fully charged?
Because you do not have the OBC using its algorithm and you would not be really charging the batteries, but rather just quickly "surface charging" the battery plates. The OBC will regulate and reduce the charging current once the batteries reach a much lower voltage and this allows the charge to slowly build up to the cutoff voltage. If You just run it unregulated, the plates will quickly reach ~62vdc, but they will not be fully charged....

Like I mentioned, you will ruin the sustainable life of your batteries this way....
Old 05-31-2018, 09:58 PM   #19
Winyah
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Because you do not have the OBC using its algorithm and you would not be really charging the batteries, but rather just quickly "surface charging" the battery plates. The OBC will regulate and reduce the charging current once the batteries reach a much lower voltage and this allows the charge to slowly build up to the cutoff voltage. If You just run it unregulated, the plates will quickly reach ~62vdc, but they will not be fully charged....

Like I mentioned, you will ruin the sustainable life of your batteries this way....
Ok I get it now makes since thanks for the advice guess I’ll be replacing the charger
Old 06-01-2018, 05:27 PM   #20
Winyah
Not Yet Wild

So update on solenoid. I went to local golf cart shop to purchase new solenoid in which they wanted 94$. Before I bought it they wanted to check my cart with their hand held code reader. Took it up there and it gave speed sensor code they said. They said I needed to replace the speed sensor to fix my speed problem. That being said the rolling test and hearing the beep is that a true test or could it still be bad sensor and still make the beep? Also they wanted 139.00 for speed sensor these prices seem extremely high from what I’ve seen online unless I’m looking at the wrong parts? Any input on what I should do would be great. Are the speed sensor easy to change out if wanted to change it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car