lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Gassing question

So since it looks like im gonna be stuck with my 8 6volts im gonna have to make it work and its ok

Question is

Now that i have gone from 36-48 im adding in 2 batteries that are 2 months newer then the ones i bought in april

When i had the 36v charger hooked up i never heard them gas off

Now that i have the 48 hooked to all 8 they seem to bubble towards the end of charge.. but the 2 newer ones do not.. is this because they are further out of the loop being they have longer wires between them or because they are not broke in .. i literally only have about 15 minutes of run time on them but im just curious.. they are back in the caddy area
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bats.jpg (35.1 KB, 0 views)
Gallachera89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Gassing question

Did You charge the two new ones individually with a 12v charger before You added them to the pack?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #3
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

No i did not, I was not aware I was supposed to. I didnt do it to the other 6 either
Old 06-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Gassing occurs when you continue to charge a battery that is already charged. Apparently the two newer ones are not charged completely and the 4 older one are charged. The energy that's going into the gassing batteries got to go somewhere. So it's being released through electrolysis.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

so in a sense i need to unhook the 2 from series and charge them separately in order to make them equal to the rest ?
Old 06-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since the new batteries only have 2 months of less use than the older batteries and that you were not discharging the old batteries below 50% every single day, they should still have similar discharge/charge profiles.

Ideally You would have charged the old pack with the 36v charger and the new batteries with the 12v charger to get them to the same SOC before putting them in series.

If you have time, it would be a good idea to charge the new batteries and then the old ones 2 at the time with the 12v charger.

That will get them to the same SOC and they should then discharge equally which means they will also charge equally with the 48v charger.

There is no need to disconnect the batteries, just make sure that you charge two batteries at the time (12v).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
If you have time, it would be a good idea to charge the new batteries and then the old ones 2 at the time with the 12v charger.

That will get them to the same SOC and they should then discharge equally which means they will also charge equally with the 48v charger.

There is no need to disconnect the batteries, just make sure that you charge two batteries at the time (12v).

good to know
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car