lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #1
bhawkdrvr
Not Yet Wild

Default Goes and goes

New here, used the search function and couldn’t find anything conclusive on what might be ailing my Club Car DS. I’m pretty sure that I won’t be the first with this problem and it’s probably buried somewhere in the internet. If someone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
My club car DS, goes without the key switch being on. The FNR switch sparks up and the only way to stop it is to put it in neutral. The original problem was that the car wouldn’t run. It ended up being a problem with the motor. I had it fixed and I reinstalled it. Then it wouldn’t go, I replaced the solenoid, now it just wants to go... I replaced all the micro switches, in the V glide and the FNR. The wiring is correct and quadruple checked. Do I still have a bad solenoid or do I have a bad key switch. I’m losing my mind.
bhawkdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Goes and goes

Hello bHawk. Let's begin by telling us the year of the cart, drive system etc.

Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #3
bhawkdrvr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Hello bHawk. Let's begin by telling us the year of the cart, drive system etc.

Thanks for the reply mooncarter. I have a 2001 36V Club Car DS, it has a V Glide and the single solenoid.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Ok. I have one of those. Did it ever perform correctly? Sounds like V-glide could be out of adjustment, but that does not explain key switch.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:02 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Also, is it possible you have the solenoid small wiring wrong? Perhaps a hot wire going to one of the small terminals keeping the solenoid engaged? The key switch wire maybe?
Old 06-19-2018, 01:10 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Sounds like your solenoid is welded. Remove the cables from the 2 large posts and then place a continuity meter across them - if it beeps, the solenoid is closed in and it does not need the switch or anything else to run as it has basically bypassed it.

If it does show continuity and you want to double check there is not a faulty feed coming into the solenoid, lift one of the small wires off of the solenoid small posts and if there is still continuity across the 2 large posts, it is definitely a bad solenoid. If it happens to show open after lifting one of the small wires, then you need to trace back and see where you are picking up the voltage from....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:58 AM   #7
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

There’s a microswitch in the V glide that could’ve failed also- another thing to check.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
bhawkdrvr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
There’s a microswitch in the V glide that could’ve failed also- another thing to check.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
I replaced that micro switch along with the one on the FNR.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #9
bhawkdrvr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Sounds like your solenoid is welded. Remove the cables from the 2 large posts and then place a continuity meter across them - if it beeps, the solenoid is closed in and it does not need the switch or anything else to run as it has basically bypassed it.

If it does show continuity and you want to double check there is not a faulty feed coming into the solenoid, lift one of the small wires off of the solenoid small posts and if there is still continuity across the 2 large posts, it is definitely a bad solenoid. If it happens to show open after lifting one of the small wires, then you need to trace back and see where you are picking up the voltage from....
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the help. I checked the wiring and it’s all corresponding with the diagrams and the pictures/drawings that I took before taking it all apart. I also tagged the wires and put them back where they were originally.
I have a new solenoid installed. It was the first piece that I replaced. I’m curious if it welded up on me like you mentioned. I’ll put a new one on there tonight, and see how it works out.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawkdrvr View Post
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the help. I checked the wiring and it’s all corresponding with the diagrams and the pictures/drawings that I took before taking it all apart. I also tagged the wires and put them back where they were originally.
I have a new solenoid installed. It was the first piece that I replaced. I’m curious if it welded up on me like you mentioned. I’ll put a new one on there tonight, and see how it works out.
But is you test it like I demonstrated above, it will definitively tell you if it was....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car