lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #1
AJC
Not Yet Wild

Default ICON I40L Speedometer calibration?

Hey folks.
When I compare the dashboard speedometer with a speedometer app or Google maps, I see my dashboard speedometer is off my as much as 2 mph. My dash will say 25 but my app says a steady 23 for example. Also I noted my odometer is slightly off (saying I have traveled 1 mile maybe 75 yards before my phone says so). I've repeated this test a few times now using a few different GPS apps. Is there a sensor adjustment, or controller algorithm software adjustment that can possibly tweak the rpm per mph ratio .....or some other means to calibrate the onboard speedometer/odometer? Anybody else notice this, or am I just being too picky? I am positive my dealer will not have an answer. Thanks.
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2021, 02:42 PM   #2
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: ICON I40L Speedometer calibration?

If I had to guess line #32 "rpm to km/h" is what you'd tinker with. Mine is set to 6.60, but the math doesn't seem to work out for me to make any sense of it.

The label "rpm to km/h" could be incorrect? I know they had to translate it from either Japanese or Chinese and perhaps the unit is actually miles and not km?

Just speculating so proceed with your own caution.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:22 PM   #3
AJC
Not Yet Wild

Hey ATrain. Thanks. If yours is an I40L, can you please compare your digital dash speed with Google maps or another GPS phone app? I'm wondering if your speedometer is calibrated correctly (with that 6.60 reading.)

I'd appreciate you letting me know.
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #4
JohnWa
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC View Post
Hey folks.
When I compare the dashboard speedometer with a speedometer app or Google maps, I see my dashboard speedometer is off my as much as 2 mph. My dash will say 25 but my app says a steady 23 for example. Also I noted my odometer is slightly off (saying I have traveled 1 mile maybe 75 yards before my phone says so). I've repeated this test a few times now using a few different GPS apps. Is there a sensor adjustment, or controller algorithm software adjustment that can possibly tweak the rpm per mph ratio .....or some other means to calibrate the onboard speedometer/odometer? Anybody else notice this, or am I just being too picky? I am positive my dealer will not have an answer. Thanks.
Mine says 27 GPS says 25. but have not got into software
JohnWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:19 PM   #5
racemrc
Not Yet Wild

The dashboard speedo gets its signal directly from the motor speed sensor so you can’t adjust it with the controller settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
racemrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:23 AM   #6
sgremp
Not Yet Wild

My speedometer also is off by about 3-5Mph, gps will say 20 while dash says 23-25 so when I use the dash I always assume I’m doing a few below that, which is pretty annoying. I’ve tested gps app with car and it’s within 1mph so I’m figuring it’s the cart not the gps…also same thing with odometer, says I’ve gone 75 miles, but I know I’ve gone nothing over 50, so definitely seems to be programmed wrong or something.
sgremp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:21 AM   #7
anpgator
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgremp View Post
My speedometer also is off by about 3-5Mph, gps will say 20 while dash says 23-25 so when I use the dash I always assume I’m doing a few below that, which is pretty annoying. I’ve tested gps app with car and it’s within 1mph so I’m figuring it’s the cart not the gps…also same thing with odometer, says I’ve gone 75 miles, but I know I’ve gone nothing over 50, so definitely seems to be programmed wrong or something.
I have yet to come across an LV Tong cart that isn't at least 2mph off compared against GPS. Both lifted and standard models have all been at least 2, usually 3mph higher on the speedometer than actual GPS speed. This is on 10+ carts, some Icon, some AEV, and some Aetric. Quite annoying, honestly.
anpgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:41 PM   #8
Fukushu
Not Yet Wild

These are basically a Chinese clone of the Curtis engage clusters. They can be programmed via another software program as they read on most Neos or lvtong brand icon live powered lsv carts direct from the motor speed sensor and not the controller as some of the later productions are now doing. When I was programming these I just used a basic serial sniffer to monitor rx/tx data and made the necessary adjustments for battery brand and type excluding lithium, tire diameter, axle ratios, and kph/mph. According to the manufacturer who also produce the Curtis engage units there is a lithium compatible unit as well but was never provided a part number. Hopefully this helps anyone willing to attempt reprogramming them.

Just to clarify as I'm sure someone will ask if not spelled out. Yes you can rout your speed sensor output signal to all the Neos, lvtong icon live, enpower, navitas and Curtis controllers found in these carts. Then use the output pin, if equipped, from controller to the cluster and program via the usual diag software. If no output pin is equipped for speed then you can piggy back off the wire you would have used previously by just splicing it to the controller input.

To my knowledge icon has never provided the detail on how to program these clusters and the manufacturer is very guarded about the info for some reason
Fukushu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
odometer, speedometer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon