lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2022, 07:31 AM   #11
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Electrical questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstjohnz View Post
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/atta...8&d=1646231925

From post #10 on the Wiring Diagram sticky thread. Have not tried to trace anything on the cart (yet).
Your link just takes me to a PDF file and the language is all in Chinese...and I can't read anything but English.

But back to your initial question of when does the solenoid engage....here's a few explanations\examples.

On a gas powered vehicle, the solenoid closes (engages) when the go peddle is pressed in order to turn the starter on to "fire up" the gas engine. Once ignition occurs the solenoid open's. If that didn't occur, the starter would constantly be engaged....and that's not a good thing.

So, as my reading and understanding goes, my TXT cart works sort of like this:

#1- There are essentially two electrical systems (for lack of a better word) that make my cart run. A light duty system (visually seen by light duty wiring), and a heavy duty system (visually seen by heavy duty wiring).

#2- When I turn on my key, the light duty system now is “on” and allows power to go to my “gas peddle” or my ITS (Inductive Throttle System)

#3- The ITS when pushed, sends power (the more it’s pushed, the more power....(I dunno in volts, how much the max is) it sends to the controller (via the light duty system). At the same time,(again, when the ITS is pushed) power is sent to the solenoid (via the light duty system). All the solenoid does when this occurs is connect via an electronic magnet, a big plunger type switch that allows this to carry the heavy amps needed (via the heavy duty system) to run the cart.(That’s the CLICK you hear in solenoid when you press the peddle. Or you should hear.)

#4- The controller receives this voltage (light duty system) from the ITS and depending upon how much voltage the ITS sends (see #3 above) it (how far the operator is pushing down on the peddle) the controller then “controls” or sends the amount of amps that the ITS is “telling” it (via the operator by the peddle) to the electric motor via the heavy duty system. (Big heavy wires) Because both the light duty system AND the heavy duty system of wiring run through the controller.

#5- On a TXT system, the operation of going forward and reverse is done via a manual switch. This switch simply reverses the polarity of the wires going to the electric motor. Now, this switch can also be an electric one which is known as a “contactor switch.”

In any event....I hope this helps with your understanding of the solenoid. Remember that the cart's frame is never used to "ground" or be the ground wire for anything. I don't think (just MHO) that connecting a voltage reducer (VR) to the solenoid would be a good idea as the VR would constantly be in a flux of getting power...then not...then so...then not.

I would think you want to connect such a device so that when the key is turned on, the VR gets a constant flow of power into it.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2022, 08:52 AM   #12
derelicte
Gone Wild

That's the programming connector.
derelicte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:55 AM   #13
derelicte
Gone Wild

Well we aren't really talking about gas powered ezgo carts here. We are discussing electric lv tong carts. That could explain the difference in operation.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:35 AM   #14
jstjohnz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte View Post
That's the programming connector.
Wow, how did I miss that? Thank you!
jstjohnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:40 AM   #15
jstjohnz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Well we aren't really talking about gas powered ezgo carts here. We are discussing electric lv tong carts. That could explain the difference in operation.
I agree. Two different systems. I think the solenoid on the Icon is to insure that no power can get to the motor while the controller is booting up and running self-tests.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:48 AM   #16
jstjohnz
Not Yet Wild

So the last unknown connector on the wiring diagram is the one labelled DRIVE.

Drive gets +12V from the voltage reducer and what appears to be a logic ground from the controller, and the last wire goes directly to the controller, apparently an input.

This one is interesting. Because it uses +12V I have to believe that it is some type of accessory type item rather than something tied to the basic running of the cart. I say that because none of the basic cart motion electronics use the +12V, it's only for accessories like lights, horn, etc.

But it has a dedicated wire on the controller for some type of inputy or output signal.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-02-2022, 11:52 AM   #17
jstjohnz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Your link just takes me to a PDF file and the language is all in Chinese...and I can't read anything but English.

The wire colors and connector names are in English, I think the chinese is the same information. Scroll down to get the schematic, top part is just the layout of the harness.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:51 PM   #18
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

This is vary simple to figure out here with a meter.. connect meter red lead to big post of solenoid opposite side of the lug with main battery line. Hook black lead to battery main negative. Set meter to dc volts. Turn the key on see if you read pack voltage, if not then try to press the pedal and see if you have voltage. May not read anything pressing the pedal with vehicle in neutral. It may be necessary to jack the rear of the vehicle off the ground so the gear selector can be switched into forward or reverse for this test. The solenoid should pull in in 1 of those 2 scenarios. This will answer your question of when it pulls in….
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:28 PM   #19
derelicte
Gone Wild

I haven't figured out what the drive connector is for and no one else has either. I can't find it on the schematics for the newer 23 pin controller, but it is on the wiring harness diagram.

On my cart, it is not used. If you look under the rear up to the controller housing you'll see a 4pin connector hanging there with nothing plugged in. That's the drive connector.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:00 PM   #20
__JAG__
Getting Wild

Quote:
I haven't figured out what the drive connector is for and no one else has either. I can't find it on the schematics for the newer 23 pin controller, but it is on the wiring harness diagram.

On my cart, it is not used. If you look under the rear up to the controller housing you'll see a 4pin connector hanging there with nothing plugged in. That's the drive connector.
Just trace the wire out and see what pin on the controller it goes to.
__JAG__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon