lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2022, 10:43 AM   #11
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Steering upgrade for G29?

From centerline on the tire front and back of wheels. Best with a driver on the cart.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2022, 11:00 AM   #12
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is a Ezgo instruction for illustration:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2022-09-04-17-50-18.jpg (57.1 KB, 0 views)
ojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:24 PM   #13
cssnms
Getting Wild

Thanks, that illustration helps.
cssnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:26 PM   #14
cssnms
Getting Wild

I notice when I turn the wheel a little while sitting still the steering knuckles move a bit but the wheels dont move, like theres a little play there. Is that normal?
Old 09-05-2022, 09:38 PM   #15
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

There should not be any play in the steering but stuff does get worn. You need to determine where the play is and see if it's a replaceable part.
Old 09-06-2022, 02:11 PM   #16
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
I notice when I turn the wheel a little while sitting still the steering knuckles move a bit but the wheels dont move, like theres a little play there. Is that normal?
Steering knuckles move but the wheels don't? Sounds like wheel bearings
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 02:52 PM   #17
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
What year is your G-29?
This is what happens on the older cars.

There is a bushing inside the knuckle. There is a bolt that runs through the bushing to hold the knuckle on. This allows the knuckle to pivot on the bushing. Sometimes the bushing binds to the knuckle. The first thing you notice is stiff steering.
What many people do is loosen the lock nut on the knuckle bolt and suddenly the steering is free again. But this is bad. Now the knuckle is rotating on the bold instead of the bushing. The bolt eventually wears thin and at the same time wears out the holes in the shock. Replacing the bolt can be difficult if it has rusted itself to the bushing. The bushing and bolt should be replaced.
Also check the bolts holding on the lower control arm. Make sure that they are tight.

Alignment
Slight toe out=Many prefer the tracking/handling
Zero=What Yamaha recommends. Handles OK.
Slight toe in=Loose feeling in steering.

In the attached picture
Bushing #10
Bolt #9
Lock nut #7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bushing.jpg (22.2 KB, 0 views)
rstacy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:26 PM   #18
cssnms
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstacy View Post
What year is your G-29?
This is what happens on the older cars.

There is a bushing inside the knuckle. There is a bolt that runs through the bushing to hold the knuckle on. This allows the knuckle to pivot on the bushing. Sometimes the bushing binds to the knuckle. The first thing you notice is stiff steering.
What many people do is loosen the lock nut on the knuckle bolt and suddenly the steering is free again. But this is bad. Now the knuckle is rotating on the bold instead of the bushing. The bolt eventually wears thin and at the same time wears out the holes in the shock. Replacing the bolt can be difficult if it has rusted itself to the bushing. The bushing and bolt should be replaced.
Also check the bolts holding on the lower control arm. Make sure that they are tight.

Alignment
Slight toe out=Many prefer the tracking/handling
Zero=What Yamaha recommends. Handles OK.
Slight toe in=Loose feeling in steering.

In the attached picture
Bushing #10
Bolt #9
Lock nut #7
Thanks for the detailed response.

My cart is a 2014. I'm hoping it's just an alignment issue. I haven't checked to see if eithet of the sacrificial steering plates on either control arm is bent. I understand that if its bent or bent and had been straightened it can cause lose steering.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:13 PM   #19
cssnms
Getting Wild

Just thought to update this post in case it might help another newbe...

So after more carefully checking out the steering system, I noticed the tie rod ball joint was loose on the right front wheel. I could wiggle the wheel back and forth by hand and i could clearly see the free play with that ball joint. There was a lot of free wiggle going on there.

I tightened the nut on the underside and now the ball joint play is gone. I also adjusted the toe a half a turn on the tie rod and the crazy steering sway at speed, which was largely caused by that loose tie rod ball joint, is now gone. The steering is also firmer as one could imagine.

I appreciate the input and I learned a few new things about my cart here that I will sock away in the data bank for future reference.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:43 PM   #20
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Good deal! I adjusted mine to the spec of 1/8 inch of toe in and I'm happy with the steering. I have two G29's and both are pretty much the same.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha