lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2022, 08:09 PM   #21
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Profiling Lester Summit II charger for LiFePO4 battery

Keep it well ventilated when charging and make sure fresh air is available to the two fans. It does produce quite a lot of heat when charging at 33A. It will also produce a smell when working hard, not a burning smell, more of a hot electronics smell. Don’t be alarmed as it is normal.

Good luck.
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2022, 02:54 PM   #22
Rockten
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Keep it well ventilated when charging and make sure fresh air is available to the two fans. It does produce quite a lot of heat when charging at 33A. It will also produce a smell when working hard, not a burning smell, more of a hot electronics smell. Don’t be alarmed as it is normal.

Good luck.
Pat.
Duly noted. Thanks!
Rockten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 04:57 PM   #23
Rockten
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
There is no special customisation required for lithium battery chargers except for the Constant Voltage point. Getting one with an adjustable CV point gives you all the customisation you require. They are readily available from AliExpress, eBay, Amazon etc.

I got a 60v 33A (2kW) CC CV power supply with adjustable CV and CC (constant current) points and it makes the perfect lithium battery charger. I’m using a 21 module Nissan Leaf battery.
Hello Pat.

I received the 220V charger 60V/ 33A charger! I bought a 4g wire for the clamps to the battery

Question:

1) Does the charger shut off automatically when the battery is fully charged? As soon as I plugged it to the battery I see a green light.

2) With regard to the adjustable CV and CC: where can I adjust these and for what purpose?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Dennis
Old 10-22-2022, 05:51 PM   #24
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

The green light is just a power indication.

The charger won’t shut off automatically but once the charger transitions from CC mode to CV mode, the current will taper off to zero over a couple of hours or so. In theory it should be disconnected once the current gets to 1/10th of the CC value, 3.3A in your case, but leaving it connected will just see it continue to drop to zero very quickly after the 1/10 C point. My SOC meter shows me charge current and when I see it’s dropped to a low value I turn it off. Leaving it charging over night and turning it off the next morning will be fine.

The CV value must be adjusted prior to use. There should be two trimmers to the right of the terminal screws, one labeled CC and the other CV. With no battery connected, turn the unit on and adjust the CV trimmer to whatever maximum charge voltage you like. I would recommend 56.8v (3.55v/cell) for your LiFePO4 battery. Adjusting up is ok but when adjusting down go slow as the voltage will lag behind as there are capacitors that will discharge their voltage slowly.

That’s it. When you charge the battery you can adjust the CC trimmer for a maximum charge current as long as the battery isn’t near fully charged, but adjust the CV first.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:48 AM   #25
Rockten
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
The green light is just a power indication.

The charger won’t shut off automatically but once the charger transitions from CC mode to CV mode, the current will taper off to zero over a couple of hours or so. In theory it should be disconnected once the current gets to 1/10th of the CC value, 3.3A in your case, but leaving it connected will just see it continue to drop to zero very quickly after the 1/10 C point. My SOC meter shows me charge current and when I see it’s dropped to a low value I turn it off. Leaving it charging over night and turning it off the next morning will be fine.

The CV value must be adjusted prior to use. There should be two trimmers to the right of the terminal screws, one labeled CC and the other CV. With no battery connected, turn the unit on and adjust the CV trimmer to whatever maximum charge voltage you like. I would recommend 56.8v (3.55v/cell) for your LiFePO4 battery. Adjusting up is ok but when adjusting down go slow as the voltage will lag behind as there are capacitors that will discharge their voltage slowly.

That’s it. When you charge the battery you can adjust the CC trimmer for a maximum charge current as long as the battery isn’t near fully charged, but adjust the CV first.
Thanks Pat! I indeed see two screws. One at the left is coded "V" and the one at the right is coded "A". I attached the pic of it.

Which one is CV and which one is CC? And which one should I turn right or left to reduce the charge? And do I measure the charge current at the charger and the + and - points?

Let me know

Thanks

Dennis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charger.jpg (111.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-29-2022, 03:53 PM   #26
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

V is voltage setting (CV), A is amps (CC). You’ll need a DC clamp meter or a shunt based State of Charge meter to measure the current. If you don’t have either of these then just leave the current at maximum. But you MUST set the correct voltage.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car