lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2022, 06:09 PM   #1
sPiKe
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default New to Lithium, 72 or 105 ish?

What have any of you experienced with either?

So far I'm considering an ECO, Allied Commercial or Roypow also looked at bigbattery and Dakota, but locally ECO, Allied or Roypow are the ones most stock here. I think a 72 ish would probably be fine but don't want to short change myself in a few years. I have been crawling around and don't seem to find a thread regarding experience with the different AH batteries.

The cart I have is lifter with 23's, Limited-slip, rear seat, stock motor and controller (possibly upgrade in the future). Have the old speed code 5 programed and runs at 21 mph with fresh charge on old Trojan 8v batteries (that decrease from there) with about a 5 mile range. Mainly used for neighborhood, store run, camp ground etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
sPiKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2022, 09:03 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: New to Lithium, 72 or 105 ish?

You can never go too big. If 105ish is in the budget I would get that.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:51 PM   #3
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

For your usage, the 72Ah is more than enough. Two drop in Allied 30's would be fine.

My 72 E.B. gets me 35 to 40 miles on flat pavement. If you have hills, off road, or turf operation and need more than the 30 mile range, get the 105 Ah.

My average ride is 8 miles, and I charge after every ride. "Fuel" usage is 1.45 Ah per mile almost consistently, regardless of speed. With 52Ah available down to my personal minimum of 20Ah, I'll get 35 miles (52 / 1.45 =35).
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:28 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
For your usage, the 72Ah is more than enough. Two drop in Allied 30's would be fine.

My 72 E.B. gets me 35 to 40 miles on flat pavement. If you have hills, off road, or turf operation and need more than the 30 mile range, get the 105 Ah.

My average ride is 8 miles, and I charge after every ride. "Fuel" usage is 1.45 Ah per mile almost consistently, regardless of speed. With 52Ah available down to my personal minimum of 20Ah, I'll get 35 miles (52 / 1.45 =35).
The 72 is big enough for us too. If offers more range than the conventional batteries did.
Problem is people are geared toward bigger is better. If 2g cable is all you will ever need they want 0g. If 400 amps is all the motor can draw they want 600 amps. If 22 inches is all the tire the cart can handle they want 25s. And on and on. So yeh, people are going to tell you that you need 100 amps but just maybe - you don't.
Now what about that new truck you wanted to pull the waverunner. Have you seen the new F450 superduty !?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 07:21 AM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The 72 is big enough for us too. If offers more range than the conventional batteries did.
Problem is people are geared toward bigger is better. If 2g cable is all you will ever need they want 0g. If 400 amps is all the motor can draw they want 600 amps. If 22 inches is all the tire the cart can handle they want 25s. And on and on. So yeh, people are going to tell you that you need 100 amps but just maybe - you don't.
Now what about that new truck you wanted to pull the waverunner. Have you seen the new F450 superduty !?
I got the 72 last year so I could free up real estate under the seat. It also fits perfectly in the older CC a-frame where most others won't.

I have not been in a situation where I wished I had more. And we ride A LOT!
Old 09-16-2022, 08:07 AM   #6
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sPiKe View Post
What have any of you experienced with either?

So far I'm considering an ECO, Allied Commercial or Roypow also looked at bigbattery and Dakota, but locally ECO, Allied or Roypow are the ones most stock here. I think a 72 ish would probably be fine but don't want to short change myself in a few years. I have been crawling around and don't seem to find a thread regarding experience with the different AH batteries.

The cart I have is lifter with 23's, Limited-slip, rear seat, stock motor and controller (possibly upgrade in the future). Have the old speed code 5 programed and runs at 21 mph with fresh charge on old Trojan 8v batteries (that decrease from there) with about a 5 mile range. Mainly used for neighborhood, store run, camp ground etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
I am going to put my vote towards Eco. I have been to their shop and met the guys, and they are 100% legit. I've read a lot in here about some of the others and if it were my money I would definitely go the Eco route. In addition, I would also make the jump to the 105 Ah system, as it just gives that extra sense of security.

My .02 I have been very impressed with Eco and am fortunate to have them in my backyard. I am a swimming pool builder and am not affiliated with them, but when you meet guys like this and see what they have to offer it is hard not to support them!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 06:07 PM   #7
sPiKe
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post

The 30 mile range is probably all i really need. Has bigger tires been a calculated decreases in range or has it not effected the range worth noting.
sPiKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 06:19 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You also have to remember Tom lives in coastal Georgia. If there’s a hill there, it’s like 3 feet to the top over a half mile slope

In northern CA I’m sure you’ve got some terrain there that’s anything but flat. That is going to have a significant impact on range. Lift and bigger tires will impact some as well. If you upgrade controller and/or motor in the future, that can have a significant impact depending on how you upgrade/how big you go.

Weather/temp makes a big difference also. I get way better range at 80 degrees than I do at 50 degrees, which is still better than at 30 degrees.

I stand behind my original statement, bigger is always better. Buy as many aH as your wallet will withstand now. Buy once, cry once. Otherwise you may be in a different boat crying again in a year when you upgrade your motor and controller and take a big hit, or worse depending on what pack you go with and what upgrades you make, trip the BMS overcurrent because the smaller pack won’t handle the load. Plan for future upgrades now if they are, or even *might* be in the cards.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 06:54 PM   #9
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
You also have to remember Tom lives in coastal Georgia. If there’s a hill there, it’s like 3 feet to the top over a half mile slope

(Is there really one that steep?)
Old 09-16-2022, 07:01 PM   #10
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sPiKe View Post
The 30 mile range is probably all i really need. Has bigger tires been a calculated decreases in range or has it not effected the range worth noting.
ScottyB runs large tires and has some hills I think. He says the 72 is all he needs. Of course he spends so much time fixing carts, selling parts and writing replies here, he has no time to ride!

If you plan to go 24 miles in one trip (I've done that twice and it is not fun) routinely, then go with the 105.

If all you need is 10 to 15 miles, then back to the barn on the charger, you will love the 72, and save a few hundred bucks in the process. The 72 will give you 175 amps continuous discharge amps. I doubt if you need more than that due to steep hills.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car