lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

Default Re: Western

ShortBusDriver - Is that cart still listed on craigslist? I was looking for it again today, and didn't see it. I swore that's where I had seen it before.

Did you pick it up already and that's why it's not on there?
SP-Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
ShortBusDriver
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

No SP, I haven't bought it yet. The ad simply expired.
However, I literally just walked in the door from checking it out.

It looks a whole lot different than the prior pics. I took pictures and I'm going to download them right now.

I'm going to need some help on this decision ladies and gentlemen. He's willing to swap carts straight across. My '90 EZ-GO Marathon (running) for his '00 Western Elegante Limo. When I upload the pics you'll know why but I'm not quite at "No" yet.
It would be a nice cart after an complete overhaul. It would be a lot of work with a big pay off. I like that about it.

I really would like as many educated opinions as possible on this one. Feel free to chime in.
Stand by for pics.
ShortBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #13
ShortBusDriver
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

OK, so the deal is my cart...

...for his cart...which they may or may not have thrown out of an airplane.

I think all of this can be fixed with cheese cloth and resin or something like that and my father-in-law is an upholsterer.

What do you all think. Give it to me straight.
ShortBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Western

Still worth the money... You did good.
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #15
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Offer him $500.00 for his and keep yours.........
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #16
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

Yeah, I would still say it's worth the money in the long run. It does look very rough, body wise, but doesn't look like anything is too damaged. It will require either some sanding/grinding along the cracks, and filling with resin and cloth, additional filling and support on the underside, then more sanding and prep work before painting, but it doesn't look too horrible. No chunks appear to be missing, so you should be ok. You might even be able to simply grind it on the backside, trim off any loose strands/fibers and paint, lay in some resin and cloth to fill it from the back, and then use some kitty hair filler on the outside and then sand and paint it, rather than doing heavy sanding/grinding on the outer surface.

Are the axles, suspension, frame, etc. in good shape?

Are you willing to sacrifice your running gas cart for a non-running, questionable condition western limo cart? I recommend testing the motor, checking gear oil in rear diff, etc.. Maybe lift it and spin the tires to make sure nothing is bent, binding, or loose. Your gasser is probably worth more than the $1000 for the western, so you might consider holding onto yours and just paying cash (If that's an option for you), or trying to get him to throw in a bit of cash to sweeten the deal.

I bet he'd take a bit less than $1000 once you point out the cost of repairing everything. The cost of batteries, cables, possibly other electric parts, plus a charger (or does he have the charger with it still?), fiberglass repair, paint, etc., is going to be pretty steep. The way I see it, most of the value in a cart is in the batteries, so minus $700-1000 when there are none, another $250-350 for charger, and a cart worth $2000-2500 used is now worth less than half the original used value, then toss in missing cables and all the damage from the freight train accident...

Offer less. My initial offer upon seeing it would be around $450, because I like to lowball on things like that, and work my way up.
SP-Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #17
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Well, it's certainly different than the first photos.
Aside from the obvious that it will need batteries, ($650), I don't see the controller if it's even there. It has the big motor which is either a 4hp or 7hp motor and should be no problem. Again, stating the obvious, it needs reupholstering and it is not standard stuff you can buy off the shelf so you will need and auto/boat guy to do this unless you have the ability, budget $400.

Western is effectively out of production and hasn't made a new cart since late 2006 so body parts and trim pieces are not available.

The cart looks like it has been rolled or slid of a trailer but the body is all fiberglass and can be repaired and repainted to look like new. If you have that skill this could be a winner, if not, I'm thinking a body shop is going to charge you around $1500 for body work and paint. The chrome trim is standard stick on trim and cheap to buy.

As a final thought, that cart to most anyone, would be considered a write-off and if you have the fortitude to go through the repairs which could total $2-$3K, I think it would make a great cart for you and your family.

I would pull your cart out of the deal, sell it privately for $1200 and offer him $500 for that POS. After he takes your money, you can at least drive your old cart until you get that one to a driving stage.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #18
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Diamond in the rough...
Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #19
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouth View Post
Diamond in the rough...
That line's taken....................
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #20
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintrock View Post
That line's taken....................
Fair nuff...

That cart has MAJORpotential... I 'd buy it in a second if it were here.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts