lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
dhinche
Not Yet Wild

Default '83 Marathon gas Driven Clutch removal

Need some help on the removal of my driven clutch. I'm assuming it isn't too difficult because i haven't found one post with instructions on how to remove it. I got the main bolt out, and I see the retaining ring. Do I need a puller to get the driven clutch off? Or is mine just extremely seized on there. I noticed last night that my driven clutch isn't opening. I had lost a ton of speed a few weeks ago and I had thought the driven clutch was the culprit since it has a big dent in it. But it was still opening then. Now it isn't opening at all. How can I tell if it is my drive clutch not engaging, or if my driven clutch isn't engaging. the belt isn't moving at all. it is staying in the lowest gear ratio.

Also, does anyone have a half decent used driven clutch for sale? Anything would be better than the one i have now, if it works.

Thanks!!
dhinche is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
dhinche
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: '83 Marathon gas Driven Clutch removal

anyone? Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

This is a direct link to the ez-go clutch removal thread. It's in the tech section at the top of the ez-go gas page.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...go-clutch.html

Good luck

You should be able to find a lot of good help there as well.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
dhinche
Not Yet Wild

I looked at that before I posted. I have looked all through this sight with no luck. That link is for the drive clutch. I need the DRIVEN clutch. The clutch that drives the rear end. Thanks for the reply though. Appriciate it!
Old 01-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinche View Post
I looked at that before I posted. I have looked all through this sight with no luck. That link is for the drive clutch. I need the DRIVEN clutch. The clutch that drives the rear end. Thanks for the reply though. Appriciate it!
Sorry dh, sometimes I get ahead of myself. I would spray the shaft with a good penetrating oil (PB Blaster) let it set overnight. They should slide right off the shaft?
I'm going to guess you will need to replace at the very least the buttons. You may want to consider pricing out a replacement clutch. I recently priced out a new cam/helix, and buttons, and ended up for $40.00 more buying the OE clutch.

I dont know much about the older Marathons but I assume that clutch should just slide off of there.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
dhinche
Not Yet Wild

I soaked it pretty good with no luck. That's why i was hoping i was missing something. haha. Guess I'll have to put more muscle in there. I doubt it's ever been off. I am going to just replace the whole thing I think. The stationary sheeve has a huge dent in it and I know i'm loosing a ton due to the clutch. Or do you know somewhere that I can just buy a sheave. the rest of it looks good other than the buttons. may replace the spring too if i can, but I haven't been able to find replacement parts to rebuild it. Just the full assm.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You won't find a used one... too many people looking for them and Very Few available. It is 25 yrs old plus!? The wear parts are still avail from aftermarket company Nivel. So is the complete unit for about $230.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

I see there is a Comet and OE clutch for the year in question. Scotty, can you get him what he needs??
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO