lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
DaCajun
Not Yet Wild

Default GX670 24hp worth saving???

I was able to pickup a GX670 over the weekend for $50. The problem is it had a dead cylinder. Well I pulled it a part and it threw a rod. It's going to need and new crank and a set of rods. So I looked up all the parts to rebuild it; crank, rods, pistons w/ rings along with gasket and seals. It looks like the parts will be just under $700, my question is, is this motor worth the investment? I do have a very clean and nice Vanguard 18hp in my possession. Which is the better motor between the two. I personally think the 18hp Vanguard appears to be a better motor. I have a Yamaha 36 volt cart that I'm putting together the stuff to do a big block conversation. All ya'lls help is much appreciated.

BTW, here's a few pics of the 18hp Vanguard and rearend I've collected.

Thanks,
Dave
DaCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
decipher
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: GX670 24hp worth saving???

if it were me id rebuild it you should search the internet and try to find use parts crank rod etc. If not drop it by and i'll get you your 50$ back
decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

I think you should send it to me If you have the skills to rebuild, add a rev kit and timng advance key while your at it and for less than $900.00 you have a great motor. I think it's worth it
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
DaCajun
Not Yet Wild

Is the GX670 better than the Vanguard?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

I dont know that I would say that. There is a lot more after market parts available for the Vangaurd than the Honda.
I'm partial to the Honda's only cause, I have one
Old 03-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
DaCajun
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
I dont know that I would say that. There is a lot more after market parts available for the Vangaurd than the Honda.
With that being said, should I be able modify the 18hp vanguard to somewhere in the low 20hp range?

-Dave
Old 03-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCajun View Post
With that being said, should I be able modify the 18hp vanguard to somewhere in the low 20hp range?

-Dave
I'm kinda hoping some of the smart guys will come along but as I understand it, gaining 2 hp should be very easy with the briggs.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCajun View Post

-Dave
yeah, put a free flow breather/exhaust on and re-jet it, that should be good for 3 or 4 hp. Not enough.... get a cam an rev kit.

toss the honda out back and wait till you get a bunch of them, then you may have enough parts to put one together. as it stands you'll probably end up spending as much in new parts as a new one costs.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
shawn.m
Gone Wild

for the 18hp -add a two barrel carb and intake and get 2 hp right away. add rev kit, header, rejet carb, timing advance and should be at 25-28
shawn.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:53 AM   #10
DaCajun
Not Yet Wild

Yea I was thinking of using the two barrel carb off of the 24hp honda along with maybe a cam and for sure a rev kit. All tho the 24hp is a bit bigger in cubes. Heck I can always build it latter on. Or should I sell the 18hp Vanguard to fund the honda build? Or, looking at the BIG picture with the Vanguard I have more options with all the aftermaket parts that are available? Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!!

-Dave
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!