lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
fang16
Not Yet Wild

Default Hard to steer 95 ezgo

Buddy raised the front end of his 95 ezgo by arching the springs, now it's hard to steer. We know why and that the front end needs alignment but don't know how to fix it. Any ideas? His aim was to make it like an old style gasser. Guessing we need to get the tie rods more level.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140310_170745.jpg (322.2 KB, 0 views)
fang16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
misterpowertools
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Those tie rod ends are probably at their max angle and are binding a bit. Can't see too well in the picture but it looks like if you extend the steering shaft the angle would be solved

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
misterpowertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Hard to steer 95 ezgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fang16 View Post
Buddy raised the front end of his 95 ezgo by arching the springs, now it's hard to steer. We know why and that the front end needs alignment but don't know how to fix it. Any ideas? His aim was to make it like an old style gasser. Guessing we need to get the tie rods more level.
He did more than arch the springs. He cut the spring mounting plates from the bottom of the axle and moved the springs to the top. When you do that, the tie rods have a tendency to hit the springs and the tie rods are at too steep of an angle.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Olman is dead on with tie rods.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
fang16
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpowertools View Post
Those tie rod ends are probably at their max angle and are binding a bit. Can't see too well in the picture but it looks like if you extend the steering shaft the angle would be solved

I was told that if u extend the steering shaft it makes it real hard to steer. probably try it anyway. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
fang16
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olman View Post
He did more than arch the springs. He cut the spring mounting plates from the bottom of the axle and moved the springs to the top. When you do that, the tie rods have a tendency to hit the springs and the tie rods are at too steep of an angle.
I'm guessing that's why he arched the springs. As misterpowertools said, will extending the steering shaft do any good and how hard would it be to steer. I'm handicapped (1 good arm) and drive it a lot.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by fang16 View Post
I'm guessing that's why he arched the springs. As misterpowertools said, will extending the steering shaft do any good and how hard would it be to steer. I'm handicapped (1 good arm) and drive it a lot.
I don't know about extending the steering shaft. If it were me, I would start over and install a regular set of springs below the axle and get a normal lift kit. I have a 95 and that is what I did and it steers very easily. The steering geometry on these carts suck at best. The less scary you set it up the better. Please don't take offense but that front suspension in your pic looks scary to me.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

have you thought about raising the steering knuckle. I'm guessing If you can rearch springs you could probably do a little fab work
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
misterpowertools
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Looking at the picture again I can see the wheels are toed out quite a bit. That will be an easy adjustment and the first thing to try to solve. I would just do it at home and get about a quarter inch toe in and go from there.

misterpowertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
fang16
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by branson View Post
have you thought about raising the steering knuckle. I'm guessing If you can rearch springs you could probably do a little fab work
raising the steering knuckle? Any ideas? Not sure what you mean by knuckle?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO