lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
jlloyd
Getting Wild

Default Ezgo bottom end rebuild help

Ok, I just bought a 20 ton shop press today because I have not one but two rebuilds about to happen at the same time so i just need to know
First, how do I position the crank case in the press to split the case without busting something?
Also how do I position it later to press the halves back together?
Second, do I need to press the three bearings on to the crank shaft on into the case first?
I have the press just don't want to mess up and crack the case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo bottom end rebuild help

I did mine last Fall. I used a chunk of 2x4 with a mallet to get them moving apart, then hung the cases between the rails on some steel plates that fit into the gap between the two halves. I pressed on the crankshaft, and then flipped it over to do the other side.

I just can't remember which way I assembled them, but I'm sure there are several ways that work. I do know that the last half inch was pulled together with the bolts after spreading a thin layer of sealer.

EDIT: I'm thinking that I pressed them into the halves first to make sure they were seated, and then cut a length of pipe that fit the inner race to press them on to the shaft. The important thing to remember is where you are putting the pressure, and how that load is being carried.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
jlloyd
Getting Wild

I think I've read of people doing it both ways, I think the manual tells you to press them on the crank shaft first with the two on the clutch side being pressed on together?? But I just want to be sure of the best way without messing anything up before I get into doing it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:01 AM   #4
Gwen
Getting Wild

Quick question. I am rebuilding my 83 so this is helpful on how to press them apart, now my question, how to get the flywheel off? Hubby and I tried for hours with no avail. He also unbolted crank case halls before starting to take off flywheel, does that matter. Thanks
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Gwen,

You need one of these. http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...FWNgMgodvBgAWA

The holes in the flywheel are 6 x 1 metric threads. I used an air impact to turn the center bolt, but you could use a wrench, and then tap the flywheel with a hammer, and turn a little more until it pops off.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO