lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Hazzard
Not Yet Wild

Default No Power on Takeoff

I have a 2003 EZ-GO gas with a 28 deg clutch. A friend of mine just bought a 2005 stock cart with a lift and the same size tires that I have and he has alot more power on low end?? I dont understand. He has done absolutely nothing to his cart and it is twice as fast as mine off the start. Can anyone help?? What is the deal? My cart was worse than it is now with the factory 36 deg clutch.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: No Power on Takeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
I have a 2003 EZ-GO gas with a 28 deg clutch. A friend of mine just bought a 2005 stock cart with a lift and the same size tires that I have and he has alot more power on low end?? I dont understand. He has done absolutely nothing to his cart and it is twice as fast as mine off the start. Can anyone help?? What is the deal? My cart was worse than it is now with the factory 36 deg clutch.
So the 28 deg clutch helped, just not enough?
Just a guess, if your cart has high speed gears (seems like it would if you can run 28mph) it would run like that with a stock 295 and 23" tires. will it run faster than your friends cart on top end? If it does have high speed gears that would be about the same as putting tires on that are like on the cart in my avatar. It could be to much of a load for the 295 to move quickly. Ezgo carts are pretty equal, they tend to run the same speeds and have predictable results when modified. Ezgo has factory hs rear ends in some models of carts, not sure if yours is one of them. If you can try 2 stock 18" wheels/tires on the rear to see if it runs like your friends cart that would be about the same as changing/removing the gear as far as final drive ratios go.
I know you have been having issues with it, but you haven't said much about your cart, I have been assuming that it has a good running stock engine.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:52 PM   #3
Hazzard
Not Yet Wild

oh yeah i will out run him by a long way when it comes to top end...I MEAN A LONG WAY!! My cart is probably as nice of a cart as I have seen inside and out. It runs fine, I have never had any problems at all with it. I know this...The cart was given to me about a year ago so I have no idea what has been done but i really dont think that it has the HS rear. See if this makes any sence to you. After I put the 28 deg clutch on, I checked the speed with the gps and it got FASTER top end. It went just over 29mph??? I know it is suppossed to go slower but it dosent.

It just dosent make any sence to me why it would be sluggish off the line.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:54 PM   #4
Hazzard
Not Yet Wild

Ruredy,

is there anyway to tell if my cart came with HS Gears from the factory?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
Ruredy,

is there anyway to tell if my cart came with HS Gears from the factory?
I forget what the model name those are, something like txt freedom hs or hp. I'll try to look that up today. I'm thinking your cart should be running about 25mph with the mods it has. The engine has a rev limiter on it so its only going to go so fast (mph) depending on the tire size and gear ratio. The exrta mph leads me to think your cart has hs gears unless your tires are taller than you say. HS gears would explain the difference.
The easy way to tell would be to keep the drivers side tire from turning, rotate the pass side tire one rotation and count how many times the driven clutch goes around. Normal ezgo carts are 13 to 1, high speed ezgo are 10 to 1, aftermarket hs gears are 8 to 1 and 6 to 1.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
Hazzard
Not Yet Wild

The only mods that I have are:

23x10.5x12 tires (All Trails)
lift kit
28 deg clutch
shorty windshield
the governor is tightened up but not all the way, but it is close.

I GPS'd the car like I said a little over 29mph

I wonder if I called EZ-GO if they could tell me what it had buy the number on the cart?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO