lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2009, 09:35 AM   #11
Starspa
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 muffler BBQ; Hot Pics!

cartman, I am new to golf carts, I am not a mechanic and I haven't even stayed at a Holiday Inn in the past year, there is however alot of expertise on this site, but I will give you my thoughts anyway.

I would BBQ the muffler and the tailpipe seperately before you re-attach them; when you re-attach the pipes, I would weld a sleave over the two pipe to rejoin them, otherwise you risk causing some restriction in the pipe with your weld joint.

Do not smack it while it on the fire, the metal will dent easier when it is hot and when it cools the burnt residue is going to contract as a different rate than the metal, which helps release its bond. let it cool totally and then clunk it gently on concrete; pour out and suck out the particulate ith a vacuum.

It would be nice to weigh the muffler before and after the BBQ to see how much fuel waste was deposited.
Starspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #12
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starspa View Post
cartman, I am new to golf carts, I am not a mechanic and I haven't even stayed at a Holiday Inn in the past year, there is however alot of expertise on this site, but I will give you my thoughts anyway.

I would BBQ the muffler and the tailpipe seperately before you re-attach them; when you re-attach the pipes, I would weld a sleave over the two pipe to rejoin them, otherwise you risk causing some restriction in the pipe with your weld joint.

Do not smack it while it on the fire, the metal will dent easier when it is hot and when it cools the burnt residue is going to contract as a different rate than the metal, which helps release its bond. let it cool totally and then clunk it gently on concrete; pour out and suck out the particulate ith a vacuum.

It would be nice to weigh the muffler before and after the BBQ to see how much fuel waste was deposited.
I agree completely.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #13
cartman71
Not Yet Wild

OK i will weigh it and what about how it moves when u put the car in forward while it is trying to start, is that normal? And Thanks for the reply!!!!
cartman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #14
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman71 View Post
OK i will weigh it and what about how it moves when u put the car in forward while it is trying to start, is that normal? And Thanks for the reply!!!!
Sounds like your drive belt is too tight/ short... Or one of the drive clutch is sticking "closed".
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
Starspa
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The need of a muffler BBQ on a 2 cycle engine is directly related to the oil/gas mix ratio, along with the efficiency of combustion and the duration the motor is ran, which determines the mufflers temperature and ability to burn off the non-combusted fuel oils.

I know, we all know that so what's the problem.

We new-bees, or whatever you call us, haven't a clue about the importance of oil mixture and what it does to the muffler. Most of the seasoned Wild, 2 cycle, Buggy owners have plugged their oil pumps and use pre-mix. Sounds good, but there are still new dudes asking how to check to see if their oil pumps are working.

The problem is, just because the pump is working does not mean it is working properly. My pumps both worked, but I wanted to know what the actual ratio was that my motor was burning. By attaching clear tubing vertically to a board, one for gas and one for oil, I was able to determine exactly how much oil and gas the motor is burning.

I was surprised to find out that the ratio was 145:1 full throttle and 58:1 at as close to idle as possible; this was opposite of what I would have expected.

Too much oil, you plug your muffler; too little oil, you burn your motor. From what I have read on this site the consensus of the majority is about a 85:1 pre-mix. That is exactly what I have done, I feel better already!

I do like a pumps ability to provide a variable fuel mixture, determined by load and rpm's, but unless you test to see exactly what your pump provides, I would follow the recommendation of many; tie the tubes or cut the tubes; depending on the color of your cart of course!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil test2020.jpg (20.1 KB, 222 views)
Starspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #16
project cart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have a similar problem with my g1. cart runs ok when pulling choke out every 4-5 seconds.otherwise it bogs. pulled off muffler/tailpipe and still had same problem. would there be any benefit to bbq muffler? could problem be rear seal?
project cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #17
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by project cart View Post
I have a similar problem with my g1. cart runs ok when pulling choke out every 4-5 seconds.otherwise it bogs. pulled off muffler/tailpipe and still had same problem. would there be any benefit to bbq muffler? could problem be rear seal?
Crank shaft seals are bad.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #18
raven
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I am considering trying this. Is the muffler difficult to remove?
I don't see any other post regarding the BBQ.

Also, can anyone point me to a good G-1 parts outlet? I need a new plug wire.

Thanks.

Raven
raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #19
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
I am considering trying this. Is the muffler difficult to remove?
I don't see any other post regarding the BBQ.

Also, can anyone point me to a good G-1 parts outlet? I need a new plug wire.

Thanks.

Raven
The muffler is easy to remove. Check with our site sponsors for parts.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #20
raven
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 muffler BBQ / plug wire

Most of the site sponsors have the coil but not the plug wire. Have not been able to find the plug wire, and it is special. That's why I asked.

Regards
raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha