lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #11
Ray and Lori's g14
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: So your Yami won't turn over

so i took the cart to a place kinda near the house here and it was the solenoid but thats not all he said the armature is going out in the starter/gen thats why turning the starter befor made it run and the smart guy that i had bought it from had a lawn mower solenoid in place of the one that goes there
Ray and Lori's g14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #12
kogieblack
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The lawn mower solenoid will also work but not as efficient as the original part. Unless the lawnmower is a large lawnmower. For that matter, you could also use a G2/G9 solenoid, an EZGO solenoid, a Club Car solenoid, name it.

ON the armature issue: Armatures normally last for a long long time. Exception: If you are using out-of-specs carbon brush (too hard), the brushes will "eat" into the armature. Or if you do not replace the carbon brush when its time to replace (there is a marker in the brush itself that indicates when the brushes should be replaced). Beyond that marker, the springs are already exerting too much pressure on the brushes. Or the armature is too dirty at the point of contact with the brushes. Really, there are a lot of reasons for the wear on the armature. (Faulty bearing/s makes it difficult for the armature to turn is another possible reason.)

Last edited by kogieblack; 05-28-2010 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: additional info
kogieblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
dewitt
Not Yet Wild

My G1 wont start / run. I got this cart last fall and it was running great this spring it ran fine too, till one day after driving awhile it stoped cold.I checked everything i could and found no fuel getting to the carb, So i replaced the fuel pump & still nothing, then both crank shaft seals, still nothing.. When i turn the cluch it appears there's no pressure & with the key turyng to start the unit it spins freely w/no pressure. What should i look for next? or does it sound like i need more gaskets?? So far this site has been a great help hope someone can point me the right way,, Thanks.
dewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kogieblack View Post
The lawn mower solenoid will also work but not as efficient as the original part. Unless the lawnmower is a large lawnmower. For that matter, you could also use a G2/G9 solenoid, an EZGO solenoid, a Club Car solenoid, name it.

ON the armature issue: Armatures normally last for a long long time. Exception: If you are using out-of-specs carbon brush (too hard), the brushes will "eat" into the armature. Or if you do not replace the carbon brush when its time to replace (there is a marker in the brush itself that indicates when the brushes should be replaced). Beyond that marker, the springs are already exerting too much pressure on the brushes. Or the armature is too dirty at the point of contact with the brushes. Really, there are a lot of reasons for the wear on the armature. (Faulty bearing/s makes it difficult for the armature to turn is another possible reason.)

If you're going to make this statement you need to explain the difference between a regular automotive or lawnmower solenoid and a continous duty solenoid designed for the golf cart application and why the other shouldn't be used.

Nevermind, you shouldn't even suggest that as a solution.

crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:19 AM   #15
bigunn
Not Yet Wild

Here is one for those people in the know. I have a G9A , My grandson was driving it and parked it and then it wouldn't start. After doing all of the checking Like in the first post, found it to be the start,stop switch. Here is where it gets weird, I take the switch out and was checking it with a volt ohm meter and it shows that it works. I had went to a golf parts shop in town and picked up a switch , but the parts box was missed labeled, it had 4 wires coming out of the switch, well the shop owner died [Matter fact if anyone is interested all parts and invertory and approx 30 carts are for sale]. Any way back to the switch If I hook the old switch laying on the floor board it works, I took the new switch and found out witch two wires that worked turned out to be red and white, and taping off the two black and while laying on the floor board , not installed it worked too. So I installed the new switch fighting that little boot, and tryed it no start take the switch laying on the floor board and it works fine, WTF So where would you look? Both switches work as long as they are not installed.
bigunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #16
haus513
Getting Wild

Yamaha

My g1 goes forward but will not seem to go in reverse any ideas?
haus513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #17
erocksyam
Not Yet Wild

i have a similiar problem. I have a G9. Brand new battery and it keeps gradually draining. I always keep the key off when parked and have no lights etc. I charged the battery back and then it will stay charged for 3-4 days but then will die. I figured something has to be draining it or maybe the starter generator is not charging it back?? Any way to check if the starter generator is charging?
erocksyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #18
erocksyam
Not Yet Wild

where is the shop??
erocksyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #19
Pamsvette
Not Yet Wild

Talking Re: So your Yami won't turn over

We have the same problem with our gas Yami, after a little while the battery is drained and it's a brand new battery. Never did this before, however, we did install a converter to be able to put little lights on it for the holidays and we have installed new headlites on it within the last month. I absolutely love my old G1/G2 Yami but we can't keep buying and charging batteries. Any ideas why all of a sudden this happened?
Pamsvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #20
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Pam and others I sugest you start a new thread in the yamaha gas section.
The stickie area is to save the highlights for future reference and does
not get a lot of views from the regulars on the site.
Good luck with the repair of your cart.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha