lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
IceJockey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default "The Drive" Towing Capacity Question

Hey Everyone, new to the site, have gained a ton of knowledge thus far, but upon searching I have not been able to find an answer to my question...

I just purchased a 2007 Drive gasser. It has a 6" Jakes Lift with 12" Elixir rims and 23" tires. It has a trailer hitch mounted to the rear frame under the rear seat footrest. I'm trying to find out the towing capacity for this cart with its current set up to know what I can tow. Ideally, I'm trying to be able to tow the cart back and forth from my house to my cottage on a trailer (looking at a 6' x 10' utility trailer) and than possibly be able to tow the same trailer with my golf cart to take my kids on "hayrides" and things like that. Would this be possible with my current set up, or would I need to look into upgrading rear suspension, gears, and things of that nature? Or is this not possible and I should just keep hauling it with one of my larger trailers, and get a little trailer to use for the kids? Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. And I know everyone likes pics, so I've added a couple just to show the cart.

LT Front.JPG
RT Rear.JPG
IceJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: "The Drive" Towing Capacity Question

Welcome to BGW! First, I'd like to see a picture of the design of "hitch" on the foot rest, probably isn't "tied" to the cars main frame very well. I'm not the biggest fan of the "Team" style clutchs and there was an update, so I don't know what you have. Some members like to install a "torque spring" in the secondary for better pulling. A site sponsor and a heck of a nice guy to deal with, www.cartpartsplus.com has found a very nice update for "The Drive" clutch systems, new rollers and a spring for the primary (engine) clutch and a differant spring for the seconday clutch and a "cogged" style belt. I could be a real nice upgrade for your toy. Your right, we all like pictures
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I've seen two hitches this way...the madjax hitch attaches only too the footrest of backseat kit which is just for very small lawn trailers and then there's one that tux behind the main rear frame which is much more heavy duty, to determine tow capacity would first need to know which you have...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
IceJockey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

It has a Class II hitch mounted to the main rear frame tucked up under the rear seat footrest. Here are a couple pics of the hitch. I hope these help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-08-18_08-38-05_465.jpg (196.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-08-18_08-38-29_787.jpg (201.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-08-18_08-47-05_168.jpg (186.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you have a hitch like that bolted to the frame the issue usually is it will pull anything the cart is able to pull....because the hitch is stronger than the power the cart has. You have to limit tongue weight it will push the cart rear down too much, can lift the front tires up. Try to keep the receiver short; keep the ball close to the cart that helps. The main thing is to work on the clutches to pull better from a stop. Older carts you can put springs in the secondary and/or run a cut sheave and the HD belt. I'm not up on the new drive clutches, but you should investigate what makes them tow better that is key. Then be safe and you should be able to pull anything the cart can pull. I have pulled 20' small block boats with my G9 that I did a few mods to the clutch but still has stock spring in it. It will not pull up a hill with that much weight, and have to be careful and go slow. It pulls a 16' OB bowrider pretty easily though and I can pull that out of the boat ramp. I only have the stock shocks stood up straighter and lifted a little more so it holds more weight, and mostly did that so I can fill the box with dirt or wood/etc. I have landed a 24' pontoon with it in the ramp, hauled a 12' utility trailer around, pull yard carts no problem. I even pulled a hay wagon a couple times but its too heavy when its full of people (on flat ground, about 20 people fit on it). That is a G9 it has less HP than a drive, but will have more soon as I get the engine into it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

the cart can pull alot as prev stated.

the main issue is STOPPING THE THING. the brakes on the DRIVE are wet brakes located inside the rear diff.

I have pulled 1 ton dodge diesels and ford f350 with drives before. to me the drives pull better than the EZGO.

but since you are lifted this will effect some thing. MAINLY BRAKING. And yes the front is so light keep a minimum tongue weight.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Also be careful with too little tongue weight it can jackknife you. I was doing powerslides around corners with one trailer on it was pushing me at 15mph. I'm pretty experienced with trailer towing and was messing around, but it can really mess up your ride or be dangerous on slippery surfaces. This was a gravel road. You have to step on the gas to pull it straight. Lots of tongue weight and it will not want to turn, on gravel the front tires will slide when you turn. You never should pull something too heavy, most all of this stuff I am just pulling around a local area on a private road or moving it in a yard....no cars around.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

To answer your question Ice, Yes, you can easily tow a 6 x 10 Utility trailer around. I pull my 5 x 10 loaded with tree's, logs, branches, etc, with my little ol' G8. Then pop my golf cart in the trailer and take it home. Works great!
stuff4mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
IceJockey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Great Info. Thank You everyone for the replies.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
cozdawg
Not Yet Wild

Ice, where did you get the hitch for your cart. I have a 2008 electric drive with rear seat and am looking for a hitch like the one you have.
Thnx - cozdawg
cozdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha