lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

Cool G1 Outer Rear Axle Bearing Replacement

The whole outer rear axle bearing thing has been making me a little crazy these last few days. I've heard of welded spacers, welded bearings, welded sleeves on one side and not the other and other things as well. I also read that those bearings come with the axle and the whole thing comes as a unit. None of this made much sense to me. In the 70s I worked as a bike mechanic for both Yamaha and Honda, if there is one thing I know, its that those folks don't make things work they over engineer. That being said I'm going to offer up my opinion and also what worked for me. OPINION: If you have an axle with spot welds, spacers, welded bearings or anything like that it did not come from the factory that way. OPINION: All G1 axles are alike from the factory. If you look at the pictures you see 2 axles as they came from the factory, one with a new bearing! OPINION: There is no difference of any kind between driver and passenger side. Can you imagine a factory forman in Japan telling someone "If it doesn't fit just tac a little steel on there and move it along". Holy Sushi Tojo, his whole family would have had to flee the island!!!!!!
WHAT WORKED FOR ME: The original bearing was a KOYO 6205RS, I cross referenced and purchased an equivelent SKS bearing.1. The axle was then put in a bearing press with a slight amount of pressure on the axle and the bearing on a steel simple fixture. 2. Heat the retaining collar. No need to turn it red just heat it slowly and the pressure on the axle will do the work. You'll see it move or hear it "pop" 3. When it moves crank the press down and reomove the collar and bearing at the same time 4. Quench the hot collar and return it to room temp. 5. Reverse the process, install the bearing and then the collar. You may have to heat the collar to get it back on, use welders gloves.
Just my opinion and what worked for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axle 002.jpg (111.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg axle2 002.jpg (150.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg axle2 001.jpg (162.7 KB, 0 views)
abieex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Field6565
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 Outer Rear Axle Bearing Replacement

Glad to hear that you got this worked out. Now lets move on and finish this cart! TWO MORE WEEKS BUDDY!!! BEER...CAMPFIRES...GOLFCARTS...OH MY!!!
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by abieex View Post
OPINION: If you have an axle with spot welds, spacers, welded bearings or anything like that it did not come from the factory that way. OPINION: All G1 axles are alike from the factory. If you look at the pictures you see 2 axles as they came from the factory, one with a new bearing! OPINION: There is no difference of any kind between driver and passenger side. Can you imagine a factory forman in Japan telling someone "If it doesn't fit just tac a little steel on there and move it along". Holy Sushi Tojo, his whole family would have had to flee the island!!!!!!
Ok, so where was that opinion in early March when I was dealing with my conundrum? Just kiddin '

But that is exacty why I posted up my unusal findings ... to see if anyone had any ideas on whether I had better be careful of any "jerry rigged" mechanicals on my cart. I figured there were folks with a lot more experience with G1s than I had ... like maybe 99% of BGW members.

Anyway, I agree with your rationale, and I think mine was done by a PO or a shop ... hmmm, Abie did you ever work in a shop where you could have ... oh, never mind.

Ogre
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgreTX View Post
Ok, so where was that opinion in early March when I was dealing with my conundrum? Just kiddin '

But that is exacty why I posted up my unusal findings ... to see if anyone had any ideas on whether I had better be careful of any "jerry rigged" mechanicals on my cart. I figured there were folks with a lot more experience with G1s than I had ... like maybe 99% of BGW members.

Anyway, I agree with your rationale, and I think mine was done by a PO or a shop ... hmmm, Abie did you ever work in a shop where you could have ... oh, never mind.

Ogre
Experience is a great and wonderful thing, but sometimes experience collides with common sense. That is what happened here and I simply chose common sense and it worked out! Sorry I was too late to help.
abieex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

AWESOME! Nice write up on this, and I hope the mods are watching. This is one issue that "has" to come up from time to time and here is no info here on this. STICKY?

slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Glad to hear you got it taken care of. And I got to agree with Slo, this would be good to put in the G1 stickie.
gray horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #7
Todd Dolfi
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Great job abieex...Now get that cart done I'm dieing to see finished pics....
Todd Dolfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Nice work man!! Glad it worked.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
jwalsh965
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I just finished removing both axles from my 1980 g1 and found both my spacers on the axles were welded and I am sure this cart has not been touched since built. I was thinking was there a recall on these axles as it is possible for these axles to come right out of the bearing. I didn't take the bearings of the axles yet but it looks like the plate with the four bolts only hold the bearing in place and if it weren't for the spacer being welded I am sure the axle could come right out through the bearing. I will take it all apart in the mourning but I am sure I am correct. Time will tell. lol. PICS OF MY AXLES.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0457.jpg (140.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0458.jpg (122.4 KB, 0 views)
jwalsh965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Man, that is freaking weird! Why some welded, some not? You think recall...you might be right. Unless these just had a tendency to have "movement" issues and they just started welding them to avoid problems. That's just crazy though. Abieex's cart is an '84, so is mine. I should take mine apart and check it. Maybe its just on the early carts?

Last edited by slonomo; 04-22-2013 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: edit
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha