lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
johnandpaulaward
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy 2004 Ez-Go ST 480 draining battery

I have 2004 ST 480 that is draining the battery. I purchased a new battery it drained it within 2 hours. I had a guy pick it up he kept it 2 weeks charged $250 brought it back today said he couldnt figure out what was wrong but if you disconnected the cable when you got off it was ok. I drove it around about 2 hours it died had to tow it home. You can jump it off it will run. You can disconnect the cables while it is started & it will continue to run. If you cut it off you have to jump it back off. The light for oil pressure or what ever it is a red light stays on when the switch is off. When you start it the light goes off. It belonged to my dad who passed away 5 years ago so I would like to get it running. Thanks in advance
johnandpaulaward is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
johnandpaulaward
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2004 Ez-Go ST 480 draining battery

After reading some answers I had found online I purchased a new voltage regulator & the battery still drained. Please I need some help with this.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

So your battery always drains in two hours(approx)with a full charge?First thing is, you're going to need a multimeter and to know how to use it.Sounds like your alternator is putting out at least.

Why did you get a new battery?

I'm not too good with electrical but it sounds to me like you have a short somewhere.Does this cart have accessories such as lights and a wiper and other stuff?You might start by pulling a fuse one at a time and seeing if it still drains.I know myself the procedure for properly checking for a short, but I'll be damned if I can explain it.It's goes something like this though...If your headlights do not come on until you hit the key, and you pull the fuse for them and find that there is power to that fuse position with the key off, that's a problem.You do this for any electrical accessories that come on with the key.

That's all I've got, hopefully someone can help you out more.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
johnandpaulaward
Not Yet Wild

When I picked it up from my dads the battery was dead & it had been setting for a while so we just purchased a new battery. The guy who worked on it even after being told it was a new battery used it as the core & purchased another new battery. Yes it has headlights, the bed lifts & use to have a winch on it. To turn head lights on you have to turn switch past on to turn head lights on. It was mistreated for 5 years before it was finally given to me. It meant a lot to my dad so I really want it to run again. I dont have a multimeter & dont know of anyone who has one. Are they very expensive?
Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

A multimeter doesn't really have to be expensive.You get get an ultra cheap one for $5 but I'd stay away from them.Maybe go middle of the road and get yourself a $30 meter and read the book.Make sure you understand completely how it works before you mess around.

And this guy who worked on it, stay away from him.To be charged $250 dollars without having it fixed, him having no idea what it could be, and be told to leave the battery unhooked is completely unacceptable.Not to mention that he went and bought(more likely, you bought)a new battery when you already had one.Add to that the fact the the machine still dies on you even when you're running it and I'd be getting pretty **** furious.It's probable that he actually spent some time looking at the thing so I wouldn't bother trying to get my money back.Just find a better place.You're spending real money here and you can find a shop that will appreciate that.

Is the wiring from the winch still on it?If they are and you can confidently trace them, I'd take them off completely.That will eliminate one possible cause and simplify your wiring somewhat.

Also, on this site I found a complete wiring diagram for my 1988 Marathon.you might be able to find the one for yours as well.Even if you can't though, this is a pretty new cart(newer by far than any of my cars even)and you shouldn't have any trouble picking up a good repair manual.

One more thing, might sound dumb, but hook up the battery and take a good look around it.You might just find something on that shouldn't be.If this same guy that worked on your cart also wired up the winch, I wouldn't be surprised.Just make sure if you see anything smoking, get that battery unhooked ASAP.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
johnandpaulaward
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Heliarc for your help. Can anyone tell me where to find a diagram showing what the fuses control? The fuse block has 6 slots it has 5 fuses inserted (4) 15 amp & (1) 25 amp. The 25 amp had the fuel gage on it but it also controls something else cause when I pulled it a second later the motor died until I reinserted it. Also it has the lift bed should it have power even when the key isnt even in the switch.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
Bobby J
Not Yet Wild

I have an st 480 also and the lift is hot all the time. something is draining the battery while running so use the meter and trace each wire. do a search for the st 480 manual, they are free and on the net. good luck and keep us postd as to what it was.
Bobby J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #8
McAdoo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This thread is a few months old, but I have something that might help. I have a 2006 ST350. It has an ignition off current drain of about 1/4 amp. I have managed to stop the current drain by disconnecting BOTH the fuel gage sending unit AND the fuel gage. I replaced the sending unit and the current drain continued. I'm leaving the sending unit and the gage disconnected until I can find the leak. I'm about to post a request for a source for a wiring diagram, so I have the information to diagnose this situation. Will post another response if I solve my problem.
McAdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO