lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Trikesareforkids
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Starter test

How do I test my starter?
It will start the motor sometimes, if I check the batt it will read 12.25-12.5 volts after it sits a while, it won't discharge it. But usally it won't start it, if I put the charger on it at 10 amps, it will start right up after a couple of minutes. I then drive it a little time in the yard, and it seems to start after that, but if I let it sit over night, it usally won't tune over, but if I put the charger on it for 3-5 minutes it will start with out the charger, but if it sits it will read 12.5 volts and not turn over, it tries but won't turn over.

When it does turn over, it sounds good, not like it working hard.

Could it be brushes? I'm new to carts, and don't know how to check the draw or out put of it, other than putting a volt meter across the battery posts.

It's a G9

Thanks
Pat
Trikesareforkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
cart de golf
Gone Wild

Default Re: Starter test

on the passenger side there is a small black wire that goes from the generator to the wiring harness the only source foer the engine ground

repalce it , its probably coroded & making the starter act weird
cart de golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Pat, try a "search" of this forum using "starting problem". Find "starting problem" posted by ninjadogger. Please bypass the thread to the last post #26. On that post I explain the test procedures to check the starting circuit up to the starter/generator. Hope this helps. Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:13 AM   #4
Trikesareforkids
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the replies, I will check them both out today, and get back to ya with what I find.

Pat
Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
Trikesareforkids
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

It finally stopped rainning and I was able to check the cart out, it looks like the solenoid is bad, The batt checks out at 12.10 volts, and at the starter side of the solenoid checks 2.7 volts, when I push on the pedal. So the contacts in the solenoid must be dirty/bad.

Pat
Old 04-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikesareforkids View Post
It finally stopped rainning and I was able to check the cart out, it looks like the solenoid is bad, The batt checks out at 12.10 volts, and at the starter side of the solenoid checks 2.7 volts, when I push on the pedal. So the contacts in the solenoid must be dirty/bad.

Pat
Good job Pat. I truely beleive, to work on a golf car (gas or electric) you need to know how to use a volt meter or you just guessing. Lucky you have a G9 that uses the much less expensive "white/rodgers" solenoid. I recomend G2 owners (not to pay the price for a Yamaha J38 solenoid) to switch to the white/rodgers. Thanks for the test results. Later Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:49 AM   #7
Trikesareforkids
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I'm going to pull the solenoid and pop the rivets and see if I can clean the contacts inside. The worst thing that can happen is, I'll need a new one! which I do now!

Thanks for the help!
Pat
Old 05-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
Trikesareforkids
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Yep! the contact points were toast, I have cleaned and filed them, and then put it back together a few times, but it won't make good enough contact to work I can't hear it click any more either ), so I put a jumper wire across the battery terminals and turn the the key on, switch the jumper on step on the gas and runs & drives & charges good for now, till I get a new one.

Pat
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha