lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default Belt slipping

I have a 99 workhorse.

Started hearing an odd noise and the cart not starting when I pushed the gas. I'd push again and away we'd go.

Took off the seat to get a look at what's going on, and I could see the problem. Sometimes when I push the gas you see the starter turn, but the pully doesn't grab the belt. Next time around it will be fine.

The belt doesn't seem loose, though I don't really know the proper tension. My expertise consisted of pushing on it with my finger.

I bought the cart last Feb, and new belts where put on at that time, so the belt isn't old and shouldn't be stretched that much.

It just started this a few days ago, and doesn't do it all the time. Would a little belt dressing help, or should I tighten it a bit. Could it just be the dry dusty weather we've been having is affecting it.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default Re: Belt slipping

One thing to add. Taking a look closer I can see the belt does not touch the bottom of the pullys. The sides are shiny, but the bottoms of the pullys are rusty, so you can see the belt never touches the bottom.

Is it normal for the belt to just run on the sides and not have the inside of the belt touch the pully?
Old 09-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The belt isn't suppose to touch the bottom, it grips on the sides only, sounds like your belt is glazed, Probably best to put on a new one
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A new belt stretches more in the first month than it does in the next 2 years. Adjust the tension and away you go
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
reinman88
Gone Wild

Thanks for the help.

I'll adjust the tension first, since it will cost nothing to try that, and if that doesn't do the trick I'll pick up a new belt next time I'm near the cart dealer.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Or take the belt to your local auto shop who should have a belt measuring tool. Get an auto belt which will be tougher and cheaper.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Mine actually threw the starter/gen belt in the second month after my rebuild. It suprised me how much I needed to tighten it up.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO