lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default G2 engine problem.....engine knock??

Well, most of you know of my cart build. The cart I got supposedly had the engine rebuilt last summer. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about, but I am new to carts.
Today was the first day I was able to take it out and run it around. Before I did, I changed the oil and gas. Took it down the road and it started getting loud, sounds to me like a engine knock. I really need someone to look at it that knows the sounds of these engines. Any thoughts? I sure wish some of you yamaha guys were close to me to listen to it!

Looking for ideas on where to go with this issue
Thanks!
Rob
rb8484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 engine problem.....engine knock??

One problem these have is the counterbalance runs on the block and it wears, then it knocks. Some have experimented with trying bushings in them. Its not real loud in the ones I heard. There is no bearing its the case. You can take the shaft out.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...nce-shaft.html
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-balancer.html

If its the rod you are in trouble. I would listen to the engine and see if the knock is in the head, crank, or the side case where the balance shaft runs....if you can tell. (with a listening tool or rod/etc.)

Also note that if the clutch knocks it will sound like the engine is doing it! Put two pumps of grease in the primary and see if it changes, grab it and see how loose the outer part is you can put new bushings in them. They usually have play but when they get real loose they knock. Pull the drive belt and see what it sounds like.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

Rob i have a G9 right now that i run with out the balancer and it runs great. like Sho said check your clutch. Take the cover off and make sure all three weights are ok.
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

Rob i put this engine together with out a balancer also and it still runs great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10288.JPG (66.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10298.JPG (71.5 KB, 0 views)
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1-G9 View Post
Rob i have a G9 right now that i run with out the balancer and it runs great. like Sho said check your clutch. Take the cover off and make sure all three weights are ok.
Good point broken stuff in clutch will also knock, the sound goes through the crank.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Good point broken stuff in clutch will also knock, the sound goes through the crank.
Remember, Im a newb that is learning!! Is the balancer the cap over the clutch? I had it off a few weeks ago looking around, and nothing looked worn. All of the rollers looked good, and I greased it at that time. So are you saying I should pull the cover off of it and see what it does running??

I was thinking of changing the oil again, and seeing if there is any metal in the oil, but someone told me that if this was just rebuilt that I will see some metal flakes......is this true?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you take the cover off you should be able to tell by hand how loose things are just by inspecting and nudging things, without running it. If you take the drive belt off and/or use neutral it places no load on it, so that may well change the sound if its the clutch doing it.

I would not want to see metal after a rebuild, maybe a tiny amount but no more. Most engine things are machined to quite good tolerance these days.

A rod knock will usually vary with load, when you let off it gets worse, its louder at rpm with no load (revving it free). Clutches tend to knock the same all the time maybe less at higher rpm. They will change in neutral or with no belt the engine will not care what the belt is doing.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
If you take the cover off you should be able to tell by hand how loose things are just by inspecting and nudging things, without running it. If you take the drive belt off and/or use neutral it places no load on it, so that may well change the sound if its the clutch doing it.

I would not want to see metal after a rebuild, maybe a tiny amount but no more. Most engine things are machined to quite good tolerance these days.

A rod knock will usually vary with load, when you let off it gets worse, its louder at rpm with no load (revving it free). Clutches tend to knock the same all the time maybe less at higher rpm. They will change in neutral or with no belt the engine will not care what the belt is doing.

With it in neutral, it still knocks, louder at higher rpms. Not sure how much play should be in it, there is some, but I dont know if it is too much or not. Maybe I can take a little video and show you how much play there is and you can tell me if it is too much play or not.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Click on picture and it will play, this shows the play in the clutch

Not sure if you will be able to hear much of the sound, but this is one with the cart running

Old 03-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Wow that sounds terrible! The clutch you look at the wobble in the outer part, grab it and go side to side and tilt it. The inner is on the crank, that is sideplay in the crank some is normal.

I think I would turn it over by hand and see if you can hear it loose on the rod or the piston or something. Hard to tell make sure its not a blown head gasket or big exhaust leak, but those would be louder with throttle.

On the video it sounds like metal hitting something, I've never heard one like that but could be the video. Does not sound like a rod but hard to say. It does not sound good.

So did this get worse gradually then?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha