lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Brad88
Not Yet Wild

Default 82 ezgo electrical issues

Came across a 82 gas ezgo. I put a new battery in it, replaced the solenoid, and cleaned the carb and put it back on. It ran fine for a short period and quit, after about 10 minutes it ran again. Then it quit again. It now does nothing, won't turn over or anything. I replaced the igniter with a new one, it still does nothing.

I checked the terminals on the solenoid and the one with wire that goes to starter/generator is not coming hot when gas pedal is pushed. I need some help on what to do next

Thanks!!!
Brad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would check all the grounds by clean/grind/scrape all paint/rust off. These carts are notorious for bad grounds. Thats where I would start first.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Brad88
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 82 ezgo electrical issues

Thanks for the reply. I checked the grounds, scraped all paint and rust down to raw metal. Still nothing. Not understanding why that one post on solenoid is not coming hot. A little frustrating since it ran good and now its not. Now what?
Old 12-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

This is a real easy fix, either the activation for the solenoid is bad or the solenoid itself (it is common for the contacts inside the solenoid to corrode). To fix this you will need a cheap multimeter. If you haven't got one the cheapest in Walmart will run you about $9.99.

The first step is to jack up the rear axle, so it doesn't run away with you, and with the meter across the two small terminals of the solenoid and the key on, press the throttle. Do you see 12 volts? If not look at the small terminals, one should be connected to black wires and the other to colored wires (maybe all red). Connect between the colored wires (positive) and the battery negative terminal. Depress the throttle, do you see 12 volts?
Report back

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Brad88
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Dave. I'll try that. However the solenoid is brand new. Also, something I just noticed, according to a wiring diagram I found there is supposed to be a black wire going from the left side of the coil to the engine? Mine does not have one. Mine has a green wire, orange wire, and plug wire. Would that cause this problem?
Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

You should just have the green (which goes to the solenoid and provides 12 volts) and the orange (which goes to the ignitor and provides the switched ground).

If the solenoid is new, working and wired correctly then it is in the activation and the test above will confirm that. However to save time the circuit is from the positive battery to the solenoid, then a thin wire to a fuse, ignition switch and then throttle switch. It might be worth checking the fuse first. Whatever we can get this running in quick time.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
Brad88
Not Yet Wild

I went to Walmart and got a multimeter. When I checked the two small terminals on solenoid and pressed gas pedal it showed 12 volts. What's next?
Thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Are you getting voltage in and out of the large terminals on the solenoid?It should be hot on one at all times,and hot on both with the pedal depressed.Is it a Starter-Solenoid for a vehichle,a cart-solenoid,or a Continuous-Duty Solenoid?You Can't use a Starter-Solenoid,they don't last more than a few hours at best(they are Intermittent-Duty,Carts use a Continuous-Duty).Wiggle the F/R-Switch,the contacts might be fried(sometimes you have to move the switch slowly,suddenly it will catch).I take them apart,lightly touch the pads to the side of a bench-grinder(as long as the side of the stone is smooth) to square them,then reassemble the switch.Usually,this fixes it.If you have voltage going into the switch,and nothing coming out,its' the switch.If you have voltage coming out,and at the starter/generator,then that needs to be tested next.It may need a rebuild.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
Brad88
Not Yet Wild

I am not getting power at both large terminals. The one that the battery is connected to is hot and the small terminal is hot with pedal depressed, the large terminal that the starter/generator is connected to is not getting power. Not sure what type solenoid it is. I will check on that and also the F&R switch.
Thanks a lot for the help!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #10
racin161
Gone Wild

Think you've found your problem the solenoid is fried.Be sure to get one for a cart 12v continuous duty and you should be good to go.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO