lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Otis Trout
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 project. Drivetrain suggestions please...

Hello all-

New to the site. I have a 1982 G1 I purchased a coupe years ago. It was a work cart at a campground and was used nearly daily. She still runs but I have been eyein' the old girl thinking about a ground up restoration. Like many, I have small budget. I would like to put a slightly larger motor in (stock now) but don't want to do anything to the drive-train.

Q- How much HP can I put in without beefing up the rear-end?

Basic plan is to tear it apart, replace rubber stuff like lines seals and grommets, some fiberglass work. Replace worn out parts, lift it with new tires and paint.

This is my first post and look forward to reading much of the rest of the forums to learn more.

I do plan on a small lift and slightly larger rims/tires.

Very handy in the shop but not too familiar with carts and their parts.

Cheers
Otis Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 project. Drivetrain suggestions please...

How much power are you looking for? If you swap out the engine to a v twin or clone engine you will lose reverse. The G1 engine spins backwards for reverse, no reverse gear in the transaxle. You could swap out the rear end to a G2-G9 type, but might be hard to find.

If you don't mind losing reverse, I'd say the G1 rear should be ok for up to 20 hp, provided it's in good shape. Check the axle bearings, they often wear out on those.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #3
Otis Trout
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Don't really want to lose REV. I read your thread on the 250 upgrade. At first I was sold on your upgrade. A lot of good info. Once I heard the noise it made I was a bit concerned. I use it in a campground and noise is a problem there. Maybe a four stroke off a old quad?
Old 08-03-2013, 01:55 AM   #4
Otis Trout
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Guess that would mean upgrade to new rear end as well ... $$$
Old 08-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
CharlieN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The Bravo sled motor is an option as well. there are a few writeups around here. The engine provides a mild increase in power for a moderate amount of work. I run the stock G1 exhaust so I would say there is a minimal change in noise level.
CharlieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Otis, I too have the good old 1982 G1. Right now my motor is in pieces awaiting parts. My cylinder was so worn that I am getting it bored. I was on the phone with Plowman (a sponsor for this site) the other day. He has a good selection of parts for the 82 engine. Another place is www.lvssales.com.

The stock 82 G1 engine will get you 8hp when it is running right. These little engines have smaller reed valves (than the other G1s) and are a low compression engine. Mr. Plowman told me that the 82 G1s engine design came about because of the oil embargo that was going on around that time.

If you have not already done so, I would suggest reading all the stickies at the top of the Gas Yamaha section. There is a load of info to be found there. It is possible to make your own clutch tool, and you will need one to get that clutch off to replace your clutch side crank seal. Once you get the ability to PM, I will be glad to send you a SM for your cart. Just PM me your email address.
sontag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I'm convinced that most of the noise from my cart is from the open element air filter, it's a k&n style. I'm in the process of modifying the stock airbox and snorkel to try to quiet it down. I think the airbox will flow enough air if the snorkel size is increased. But most a good portion of the noise you hear on mine is from the carb/air intake.

The muffler I'm using is the Plowman's performance muffler. I'd be willing to bet that using a stock muffler will quiet it down even more, and I don't think the performance would suffer much at all.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #8
ferdabutt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

i second slonomo motion. as have done the swap as well. the noise is mostly from the carb. just like when you take off your air box on a car/truck and install the k and n set up, it makes it sportier or noisier. good gains from doing the head swap though, especially coming from the 82 head to the 250 (i had the dreaded 82... haha)
ferdabutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drivetrain, engine, restore
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha