lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Are there faster chargers on the market?

Last year I bought the absolute biggest 6V batteries that would fit in my cart to maximize my runtime. These suckers weigh in at nearly 80lbs each and they have exceeded my expectations. However with bigger batteries - comes longer charge times ...MUCH longer.

Most of our family have carts and they get used in the woods, around the farm and meeting up for a bonfire or cookout before everyone heads home. This means we are usually out until dark before we put the cart on charge and then back on it again at Dawn spotting wildlife. So 16-20hrs for a full recharge is killing our fun time.

Are there any chargers that use a higher amperage to achieve faster charges? Ideally 8hrs would be perfect - but I could live with 12hrs if that is as good as it gets. I realize that charge time is based on a bucket-full of variables, so what I am really looking for here are suggestions for the fastest chargers available - and would they harm the battery packs if used?

The 36v forklift where I work has massive deep-cycle batteries in it, the guys here say it charges fully in about 8hrs. Obviously, the charger is huge - about 3' squared and sits on a palette. But it just got me wondering what charging options are available to me.

Any and all suggestions/opinions welcome.
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Are there faster chargers on the market?

Maximum bulk charge rate should not exceed 10% of the amp hour capacity. This formula should allow you to run a 25 amp charger which could potentially shorten the charging time.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think I have a 20A now on my Lestronic II. That should be about a 12.5% decrease in time or around 13hrs time.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
rib33024

What batteries are we talking about?, amp hours?, how low on volts do you run the batteries down to before you recharge? 6 volt batteries, is this a 36 volt cart?
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

1) Trojans T-145 Plus

2) The 20hr rate is 260 amp-hrs for my Trojans

3) I have a digital voltmeter in dash and religiously don't go below 37.2v before charging

4) 36v resister cart with 2ga cables

I ordered ScottyB's C74 package which will allow me to switch to 48v when these current batteries eventually do die. Also hoping the solid state controller (elimination of toaster parts) will use less juice to go the same distance - equating to less charge time needed during the night.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I would be on the lookout for a lester 25a charger. Check craigslist. Ebay too (but shipping will be expensive, its heavy).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #7
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

CL locally is good option, lots of golf carts here in central Florida so always something for sale. Chargers are big money so I'm probably not to get another one until I make the switch to 48v. I do want to know what's out there though so i appreciate the ideas!
Old 11-07-2014, 12:28 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJerm76 View Post
CL locally is good option, lots of golf carts here in central Florida so always something for sale. Chargers are big money so I'm probably not to get another one until I make the switch to 48v. I do want to know what's out there though so i appreciate the ideas!
Another option might be a lunch time opportunity charge...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #9
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

QuickCharge makes 25 amp and 40 amp 36v chargers in both portable (standard) and on-board style. The portable is available with various cart connectors also.

http://quickcharge.com/
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #10
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Another option might be a lunch time opportunity charge...
LOL - No issues with taking it off charge before the whole cycle is complete?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts