lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2016, 08:00 PM   #11
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Lithium Battery Conversion

If you read sportcoupe thread it may help. I want to say 120ah would get the 40 miles. You might get 20 out of the 52 pack. I dont have these and have really wanted to dive in but keep waiting for price drops. Hybrid auto raised their prices and created a golf cart package soon after sportcoupe posted his progress. I personally ahve been looking at 100ah to get a happy medium. Just hoping the price drops....
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #12
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

You should also ask the max discharge current. On takeoff you may draw 300 -400 amps so you will need a 8C rating at 52ah. Others please correct me if i am out of bounds. Cheers!
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #13
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My setup is 120 AH so 400 Amps is no problem. There is almost no sag at full current either. I can use 80% of that rating quite safely too which is at least 4 rounds of golf.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #14
Patela2oh
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinds6 View Post
Looking at the two it would seem that the one I posted would be a better deal, less than $1300 for batteries, BMS, wires and a charger. I think that is about all that is needed..

That looks like it's also coming from hybrid auto center just a different donor car... That is a steal for 53ah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patela2oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:04 PM   #15
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That is half the number of batteries I got (7) which will give you half the capacity. It's ok and you save on batteries. I was worried that 50 AH would be marginal for me. Remember - one time discharging lithiums too low and they are junk. The BMS from Hybrid Auto does not protect against over discharge - only over charge.
I added my only over discharge protection that monitors every cell.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #16
Grinds6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I might get away with this for starters. 53ah even if it got me 15 miles on a charge that's more than in getting now by a long shot and that's still 4 rounds of golf.
Question:
If I started out with this and found out later I wanted to upgrade to say 120ah so doubling it, can I just add more batteries?
Grinds6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #17
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes you could add more batteries. My 120AH set is two modules in parallel * 7. The 50AH setup is 7 modules in series. They are bolted together with threaded rods. The connections between batteries are copper bus bars. Hybrid Auto gets these batteries from crashed Nissan Leaf cars. That is the only way to get them as far as I know because you can't buy them from Nissan without turning in a used Leaf battery pack. I Nissan Leaf pack has 48 of these modules in it. I am using 14 of them for my 120AH pack.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:50 PM   #18
Patela2oh
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Yes you could add more batteries. My 120AH set is two modules in parallel * 7. The 50AH setup is 7 modules in series. They are bolted together with threaded rods. The connections between batteries are copper bus bars. Hybrid Auto gets these batteries from crashed Nissan Leaf cars. That is the only way to get them as far as I know because you can't buy them from Nissan without turning in a used Leaf battery pack. I Nissan Leaf pack has 48 of these modules in it. I am using 14 of them for my 120AH pack.

Any instruct able / directions you can point to? I'm ok with series and parallel it's just the BMS connections I don't get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patela2oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #19
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Any BMS will come with instructions as to how to hook it up. It connects to each cell in the series chain to monitor it's voltage. I don't recommend doing this unless you have some electrical knowledge. Screwups are expensive and can be dangerous as well.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:55 PM   #20
interstate
Gone Wild

I have been using the nissan leaf batteries for two years with great success. This will be my third season.

7 battery modules are used in my cart, so only 60ah. This has proven to be plenty for me.

I know for certain I can drive over 15 miles on local roads.

I shaved 500 pounds off of my golf cart because I was previously running 8x6v battery packs.

No more battery acid, checking water levels, fumes, and long charging times.

Acceleration is better, braking is vastly improved, and changing time is less than three hours from depleted with only a 15amp charger. My lead acid batteries took 8+ hours to recharge with a 30amp charger.
interstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car