lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2017, 05:30 AM   #1
noodlenugs
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 1993 Club Car Ds speed increase

Howdy all, I have a stock 93 CC DS 36 volt that I have had for 3 or 4 years. The only thing I have done to it was replaced batteries, cleaned it up and painted it in the time I have owned it.

My question comes speed. It currently runs at about 12 to 14 mph and I would like to see 20-25. I dont know where to start. I dont have a ton of money to change a bunch of stuff all at once, so, what should I do first? I saw Plum Quick could rebuild my motor..or should I buy a different motor?

Should I do a controller first? Wiring? Solenoid? I am just not sure where to start and the order of which I should begin to upgrade. I see a lot of people saying to upgrade to 48 volt...but then I see people that get what I am looking for with a 36 volt...this guy is overwhelmed and thought I would turn to your knowledge to become and enlightened cart owner.

Any help is appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart.jpg (209.4 KB, 0 views)
noodlenugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2017, 05:41 AM   #2
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1993 Club Car Ds speed increase

Cart looks nice.
I would think that you need to convert your cart to solid state (controller) and 48v to get to where you want to be.
You might obtain 18-20 with a resistor cart, but mid twenties I think isn't possible.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:11 AM   #3
noodlenugs
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you for the reply Kashmir. After catching up on a lot of old posts...what do you think about a rebuild from plum quick and a C54U package controller from ScottyB? Or do I need the rebuild?
Old 07-05-2017, 06:16 AM   #4
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

scotty would be best to answer that. He should be on here shortly.
Looks like an awesome package to me, but I'm just not sure about the motor. That is a question the expert(s) have to answer.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:06 AM   #5
ecaldwell78
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Noodle,
I have a 92 DS that had the 36v resistor setup. The first thing I did was to ditch all the toaster parts in favor of a package from Scotty for solid state. Heavy duty everything. Your original 36v motor will really wake up just by doing this. I was getting a solid 20 mph and up to 24.6 on long runs. But then the need for real speed hit and after about two years running that setup I opened the wallet for a Plum Quick Rattlesnake II. Now I'm hitting 30 mph very quickly and slowly climbing to 35 mph on long runs. Hope this helps!
ecaldwell78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:11 AM   #6
noodlenugs
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

ecaldwell, that is a tremendous help. Thank you! I assume you did a new f&r switch and new wiring as well?
Old 07-05-2017, 07:21 AM   #7
ecaldwell78
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Yes I sure did. I ordered package C54 I believe. The whole conversion for me consisted of a GE FSIP 500a controller, HD FNR, HD Solenoid, 2 awg. wires, curtis PB-6, a new DPI Charger, a battery meter to keep an eye on things, and a voltage reducer for accessories, all from ScottyB. I've used him for a couple of conversions and I can say with complete satisfaction that he runs his business in such a top notch manner. It was much easier for me to strip every bit of wiring out of the cart and start from scratch than to try and trace everything to save a couple of bucks on suspect wiring. The payoff from doing it all from scratch is in knowing every wire and every connection in the cart is good. Also makes troubleshooting down the road much easier. It may seem a bit overwhelming at first, (I know it did to me!) but just plan it out, follow your plan exactly, and it all comes together better than you think it will. If you run into problems, Scotty is excellent at over the phone trouble shooting, as well as using the wonderful folks here at BGW. There is a great knowledge base here. The one issue I had with mine was a bad controller from the factory and Scotty walked me through the GE return/repair process.
ecaldwell78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:33 AM   #8
noodlenugs
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I am no stranger to this carts guts..lol...had it all out once. I was just nervous on what to start with. I didn't want to buy a nicer motor and gain nothing because I couldn't power it, I was a little afraid to power my old motor too much not knowing if I would just melt it. This is all in the works as a total upgrade, but knowing where to start is where I was falling short on info until I found this forum. I'm going on 4.5 hours of reading posts....lol!
Old 07-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #9
mrmotoguzzi00
Gone Wild
Club Car

Noodle, just did this on a 92... my sig has all the parts, but in short i gutted it... used the c54 kit with 20in tall tires, added 2 more batteries... no motor upgrade, went from 11 to 21-22.....
mrmotoguzzi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #10
noodlenugs
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Where did you put your extra batteries?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car