lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
emfinite3131
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO TXT Repair/Build Log

I purchased this golf cart from an estate sale recently. when i got it, it was not running because it had sat for years. I replaced the batteries and got it working again. Luckily, everything works great.

Buuuuut I started doing some research on the forum here and have discovered that maybe the person who wired it did not have a firm grasp on how to properly wire a golf cart. For example - the amp and lights are grounded to the frame, and it works, but from my research, its not right. It should be wired to a regulator and fuse box.

So i started this thread to log my experience of chasing down all the wires, repairing the questionable wiring, to add a few cool accessories, and to share my experience with others who may be in similar situations.

For now, here is a few pics of the cart. I'll start getting into the technical/build/repair stuff once i have a chance to dig through the cart a bit more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50018-0.jpg (39.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 50018-1.jpg (41.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 50018-2.jpg (43.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 50018-3.jpg (40.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 50018-4.jpg (40.4 KB, 0 views)
emfinite3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
emfinite3131
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO TXT Repair/Build Log

more pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50018-5 (1).jpg (35.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 50018-5.jpg (35.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 50018-7.jpg (31.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-31-2017, 06:09 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

WOW, nice looking cart!!! and you are right about the amp/lights are NOT done right....you NEVER ground ANYTHING to the frame!

oh and btw......Congrats on the new ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wives’, husbands, girlfriend’s and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
emfinite3131
Not Yet Wild

Thank you much appreciated!!
Old 11-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #5
emfinite3131
Not Yet Wild

I finally got a chance to dig into this thing and start tracing wires and i have some questions.

First and foremost, i need to order a 12v reducer, im thinking the madjax mj1230c volatage reducer with the blue sea fuse block alot of people seems to be using. Any sponsors of the forum here that are distributors that can be recommended to order from?

The first question i have is with the headlights. The headlights are grounded to the frame under the seat. I know this is incorrect and needs to be changed. Where do you ground it to if not the frame? I've read other threads where a grounding block is mentioned. Is the grounding block from the factory or aftermarket? If factory, where is it located?

The second question i have is with the way the lights are being powered (See Photo). I've found found what appears to be a voltage regulator (the box that says Pollak on it). There's a wire coming from the battery positive terminal on the 3rd battery in line that goes into a post on one side of the Pollak box. On the opposite post, there are 2 wires that come off. One is going to the REM on the amp, the other to the light switch.
What is that little Pollak box???
This cannot be right, the right-way would be to wire it to a fuse box off the madjax regulator as mentioned above, correct???

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_01322.jpg (81.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

That is a Pollak circuit breaker. If you get a reducer then the 12v power and ground from the reducer goes to the fuse block and ground strip which can be mounted wherever is convenient. Then all your accessories are wired to the fuse block and ground strip. In the mean time until you get a reducer you can remove the frame grounds and run the grounds back to the neg. of the 2 batteries you are using for 12v.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:47 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfinite3131 View Post
I finally got a chance to dig into this thing and start tracing wires and i have some questions.

First and foremost, i need to order a 12v reducer, im thinking the madjax mj1230c volatage reducer with the blue sea fuse block alot of people seems to be using. Any sponsors of the forum here that are distributors that can be recommended to order from?

The first question i have is with the headlights. The headlights are grounded to the frame under the seat. I know this is incorrect and needs to be changed. Where do you ground it to if not the frame? I've read other threads where a grounding block is mentioned. Is the grounding block from the factory or aftermarket? If factory, where is it located?
The fuse block you are referring to has the NEG. buss as part of it. so all of your negative sides of your accessories go to the neg. side of the fuse block.
here is mine, its not the blue sea fuse block but you can see my reducer on the right, the Fuse Block on the left, the NEG buss is part of the fuse block, just like the Blue Sea fuse block......the Neg. grounds are in the middle of the picture, the POS part of the fuse block are on the left.

PIC38.jpg
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:39 AM   #8
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Your first priority should be to locate and remove any (and all) ground wires / cables that are attached to the frame. You should be confident that all have been removed when there is No Continuity between the Negative post of the battery pack and the frame. If you still have continuity to the pack Negative, there will still be a ground point to remove ... check all electrical devices for a path to ground.

The reason that golf carts / electric vehicles are NOT grounded is because of the high voltages and amperages involved in the circuits can kill you. It is a good thing that you identified this deficiency in your cart.

Once you "unground" your cart, future reference to "ground" becomes irrelevant. To avoid confusion, you should refer to Positive and Negative. For clarity, the Negative bus that you will install must be isolated from the frame of the cart ... similar to how the Positve wires are isolated on your cart. All add on electrical devices can then be wired directly to the Negative bus.

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to following your build / repair.

Regards, 3CW
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
emfinite3131
Not Yet Wild

awesome thanks guys really appreciate it. im ordering my stuff from scottybs website today, so should get it next week.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:29 AM   #10
emfinite3131
Not Yet Wild

Got my stuff from cartsunlimited and started to tear this thing down. I found five different ground points to the frame. Near each tailight, 2 under the seat, and one under the dash, see pics. All have been removed and will be ran to the bus bar.

Tags
build log, ezgo, repair log, txt, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO