lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2022, 04:32 PM   #1
schecka
Not Yet Wild

Default 2006 CC Villager 8 Motor/Controller/Battery upgrade

First time posting here, hoping you awesome folks can help me out.
I started my dream project (well, one of my dream projects ). I got a club car villager 8 seater and the plan is to flip the second row seat around so it becomes rear facing and then put a table between row 2 and 3. give it a cool paint job and drive the family around the neighborhood and parades and stuff.
So while looking into upgrading the motor during the restoration, I found out its a Series cart (no speed sensor, no tow/run switch, mechanical forward/reverse switch) with a Curtis 1204-412 controller, which makes it a little more difficult to do the upgrade.
Looking for any and all recommendations, but mainly, what Lithium Battery would you recommend? should I go 72V? how many Ah? Main concern is the weight it will carry when I get 8 adults on there and go up the (paved) hills in my neighborhood.
That brings me to motor and controller upgrade. I think the controller will be an Alltrax SR48500 (thoughts?), but I am undecided on the motor. Looking at
D&D high torque motor (170-004-0002A) but not sure that's the way to go and whether it will even fit (cart is not lifted). Again, main concern is torque to get 8 adults up a hill, not top speed.
I'm already looking at custom made cables, 2 AWG, because of the distance between batteries in the back and controller/switch in the front. I also saw that I probably need to upgrade the solenoid. Seems straight forward as most of the motor companies sell the heavy duty solenoids. Do i have to be concerned about burning out the mechanical forward/reverse switch? I don't want to change to the dip switch if i don't have to.
And last question, I know the cart has an OBC somewhere (its weirdly hidden on this limo), but if I go lithium, i really shouldn't need it anymore and can bypass it when I rebuild, correct?
Ok, I know that's a lot of questions already. I appreciate any and all input you guys got. I want to do this right and enjoy the cart for years to come.
schecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2022, 08:24 PM   #2
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 CC Villager 8 Motor/Controller/Battery upgrade

Eco Battery seem to being doing a great job, and the guys are cool. For you other stuff I would suggest hitting up the Site Sponsors; they know their stuff and will set you up right the first time.

Welcome to the page!!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:02 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I did a similar cart not long ago, but it was a gas cart to start out and I converted it to IQ so I could run a Sepex motor. We have some STEEP hills here and I wanted to regen braking for downhill speed control, as well as be able to set a max top speed that is comfortable for guests.
The harness is the tricky part. If you can do some wiring work of your own then you can lengthen an IQ harness and make it to work for your setup.

If you want to stay series then I would suggest a reversing contactor rather than using an FnR lever switch. The contactor can be mounted in the back with the batteries and then your power wiring will be much shorter, and you wont have to run 40+ft of 2awg cable under the cart.

Bigger motor cans may need some clearance of brackets on the frame in order to fit.
You can kinda get an idea of what may have to be trimmed here: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=178247

I had to make trays and cut some braces out of the way since this was a gas cart, but yours being electric already you won't have to do nearly as much work. Just some trimming to the shock mounts if anything.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 11:28 AM   #4
schecka
Not Yet Wild

Thank you guys for the advise!!!
I like the idea of the reversing contactor. that will save so much cabeling.
I'm looking at the Plum Quick Rattlesnake as a motor. Any thoughts on that one as a limo motor?
schecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:32 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If you're looking at a Plum Quick upgrade then CALL THEM and ask for a recommendation on the motor. Big carts, heavy loads, lots of people, any SPEED named motor is going to be a mistake. It will overheat and burn out.
Braking is also a concern when moving at higher speeds, especially with people on the cart. Throw in a nice downhill run and your brakes may not be good enough to stop the cart at all by the time you get to the bottom. Make sure the brakes are in Tip-top shape, get new cables, shoes, drums, grease all the slide points and get them all properly adjusted before you load the cart and take off.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:48 AM   #6
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Braking is also a concern when moving at higher speeds, especially with people on the cart. Throw in a nice downhill run and your brakes may not be good enough to stop the cart at all by the time you get to the bottom. Make sure the brakes are in Tip-top shape, get new cables, shoes, drums, grease all the slide points and get them all properly adjusted before you load the cart and take off.
With this information in mind, a conversion to IQ / Sepex would be a good investment. The regen braking, especially in hilly areas, is a wonderful thing to have.

Check with Scottyb for excellent recommendations.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ads/...xqRT0=&z=1&d=1
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car