lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2021, 11:09 AM   #1
Yakman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Update 6 6v to 3 12v batteries

Have been searching and reading and searching. I have a 2002 EZGO txt pds. Batteries are four years old and from what I can tell a bit abused. I put 3 quarts of distilled water in the batteries. Anyway, I am driving this about a mile to 2 miles per day and want to replace batteries. I did a lot searching both here and on-line about transition from 6 6v to 3 12v batteries. Alot of the data is old and rather vague, yes it will work but not "as well" etc. I plan on three 12v deep cycle marine batteries as I have access to those where I am. What kind of duty use can I expect, mid speed 3 miles? 1 mile, 30 minutes? I'm not doing a round of golf, I'm driving to the boat about a half mile with fishing gear. Just looking for someone that has done it and can comment on real world application.

The reason to change is, of course, age, but I have also had the cart just kind of stop in the middle of a run, no slow down like battery discharge but more of a maybe heat limit or similar has been hit. Was going to start with new batteries to see if that is the issue as there about a half dozen other things it could be. I let the cart "rest" 20-30 seconds and all is good again. Thanks for any insight and real world use reports. Scott
Yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2021, 12:27 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Update 6 6v to 3 12v batteries

Not a good idea - still. Marine batteries are not designed for golf cart use. Get golf cart batteries. They can handle the high current demands of a 36V cart. I would also stick with 6x6Volt rather than going to 3x12Volt.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:58 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

A 36V battery pack consists of 18 x 2V cells. Batteries consists of boxes containing 3 (6V), 4 (8V) or 6 (12V) of the 2V cells. The boxes are roughly the same size, so the 2V cells in the higher voltage batteries are physically smaller.

36V is 36V and 3 x 12V pack will have about the same top speed as a 6 x 6V pack, but won't travel as far on a single charge due to the smaller storage capacity of the smaller 2V cells.

The 2V cells in a typical 6V deep cycle battery has about 225AH or storage with the smaller 2V cells in a typical 12V deep cycle battery is about 170AH, or roughly 75% of the storage capacity. However marine batteries are not true deep cycle batteries and a 3 x 12V pack of marine batteries may only have 50% (or less) the storage capacity of the standard 6 x6V 36V pack.

Bottom line, it'll work, but you won't be able to more than a few miles and the pack won't last very long.

Since your travel requirements are very modest, a better answer is to use six economy grade 6V deep cycle. You can find Duracell 6V 210AH golf cart batteries for less than $90 each.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:09 AM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If max range dosn't matter... did this with Trojan T-1275 batteries on my very first cart ( '99 DCS ), less weight, less expensive and a lot of free space for the onboard charger. Worked fine from '15 to '16, when the cart was sold. No longtime experience
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-07-20 16.56.51.jpg (147.4 KB, 0 views)
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #5
JRaf
Not Yet Wild

Note that ojo used 12V golf cart batteries, not marine batteries. Those have some big heavy plates in them. 12v marine batteries only weigh about 30-40 pounds each, much thinner plates, smaller cells.
I did run three marine batteries for a while. The cart had other problems but those batteries were significantly worn down in just a few months with minimal usage. (I actually managed to return them, which I think was lucky.) I think the problem was probably in how they were charged. Now I don't know nearly as much as these other guys but a proper golf cart charger puts a massive high amp charge and then puts out lower amps to actually boil the electrolyte and stir it up inside. Golf cart batteries are designed for that torture. A marine battery almost certainly can't handle that, at least not for long. Some of them are semi-sealed like a car battery. Make sure you can easily re-water the cells!
That said, if your ride is flat (3 miles sounds far to me) and you keep the charge and water topped up you might get some sort of acceptable life.
But how much are you actually saving? I paid a little less than $600 for six 6v batteries earlier this year on batteries delivering a little more than 200 amps). The marine batteries cost something like 300 for three and were rated at (a very suspicious) 100 amps. Yes more money up front but hopefully a much, much longer life. Maybe 5 or 10 X as much? More?
I would advise shopping around, if you have a Sam's Club or a Costco card use that. Or wait for a sale. (I could never find batteries in stock at Costco, and I don't have a card anyway. I finally used this place bestcarts.com. They had the best prices in my area.) I'm in rural California. You might do better elsewhere in the country.
JRaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:33 PM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Fully agreed JRaf, forgot to mention my setup was realized with deep cycle premium batteries... I think your post should be very helpful too
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I ran the 3 12 volt t1275 setup a few years back when Club Car had a falling out with Trojan and replaced all of their fleets with US battery. They had pallets full of 1 and 2 year old batteries they were selling for $30 each. I had decent run time but not what 6 6s would be.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:52 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

3x12 is ok but not with Marine deep cycle batteries. Current draw will be higher then they are designed for. Again - use batteries designed for golf cart use!!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO