lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Kingpaul
Getting Wild

Default DCS wiring questions...

I'm doing a complete rebuild of a 1996 txt DCS, and have a few wiring questions. I have a new EZGO keyswitch wiring, a new DCS wiring harness, a new run/tow switch and wiring, and the existing/old fnr switch and wiring.
1) there is a red/white wire coming down from the run/tow switch. Where does this go?
2) from the keyswitch, there is a yellow wire, and a yellow/white wire. Does the yellow connect to the yellow coming from the fnr switch! Does the yellow/white wire go to the positive side of the solenoid? This one has a female receptor on it, so it looks like I would need to remove it and put a ring terminal on it for the solenoid connection.
3) from my charger receptacle, there are two main wires; one black and one white. There is also a red/white wire inside the wrapping of these wires that sticks out of the wrapping near the back of the receptacle and at the other end of the wiring. What is this wire for?
4) does the red wire from the fnr switch go to the positive side of solenoid?
5) does the red wire coming from the run/tow switch go to the negative side of the solenoid?
Any other tips would be welcomed!

Thank you very much for your continued help with this project. I really appreciate it.
Kingpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: DCS wiring questions...

OK KP, first, take a breath :)

Then look here http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...eshooting.html

In the Electric EZ-Go Stickys
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpaul View Post
I'm doing a complete rebuild of a 1996 txt DCS, and have a few wiring questions. I have a new EZGO keyswitch wiring, a new DCS wiring harness, a new run/tow switch and wiring, and the existing/old fnr switch and wiring.
1) there is a red/white wire coming down from the run/tow switch. Where does this go?
2) from the keyswitch, there is a yellow wire, and a yellow/white wire. Does the yellow connect to the yellow coming from the fnr switch! Does the yellow/white wire go to the positive side of the solenoid? This one has a female receptor on it, so it looks like I would need to remove it and put a ring terminal on it for the solenoid connection.
3) from my charger receptacle, there are two main wires; one black and one white. There is also a red/white wire inside the wrapping of these wires that sticks out of the wrapping near the back of the receptacle and at the other end of the wiring. What is this wire for?
4) does the red wire from the fnr switch go to the positive side of solenoid?
5) does the red wire coming from the run/tow switch go to the negative side of the solenoid?
Any other tips would be welcomed!

Thank you very much for your continued help with this project. I really appreciate it.
According to the attached schematic of a DCS with wire colors labeled.

1. The Red/White wire attaches to the smaller of the three wires coming out of the back charger receptacle. This is the connection to the infamous Reed switch.
To bypass Reed switch, just connect the Red/White wire to B+ at some convenient location.

2. Yes - Yes - Yes. I find it odd that the white/yellow wire has the wrong type connector on it, but you do what you've gotta do.

3. See answer 1 above. The Red/White wire in the wire loom ties the small White wire coming out of the charge receptacle to the Red/White wire on Run/Tow switch that is located on the other side of cart.

4. No. Red wire from F/R switch goes to Pin-9 on controller

5. No. Red wire from Run/Tow switch goes to the battery side main terminal of solenoid.

Other tips: Don't trust wire colors. The source and destination of the various wires are correct on the schematic, the color of the wires might not be.

A schematic isn't a wiring diagram. It shows how things are connected electrically rather than physically.
Unfortunately, I don't have a true wiring diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - DCS.JPG (111.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Kingpaul
Getting Wild

JohnnieB, Thank you very much for your help. I'm going to attempt to post the photos of where I am now.
Photo1: The 2 red wires with ring terminals. One comes from the FNR switch, one comes form the run-tow switch. This was question #'s 4 & 5 above.
Photo2: The yellow and the yellow/white wires coming from the keyswitch.
Photo3: A red wire coming from the direction of the controller, run/tow direction. Can't tell exactly where, but it is midway between them and the fnr switch.
Photo4: The top of my controller at this stage.
Photo5: The back side of my charger receptacle. Note the red wire that runs the length of the wrapping, and also, there appears to have been a red wire just behind the white wire battery ring terminal.

Do these help? Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1.jpg (134.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo2.jpg (129.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo3.jpg (93.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo4.jpg (130.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo5.jpg (124.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Did you get something like the attached diagram and/or any other instructions with the DCX controller?

Looks like Alltrax shuffled the wires around a bit from the stock DCS wiring.

It also appears that some of the original and new wiring harness(es) may not be identical.

One thing that is clear is:
Photo-5: It appears that your cart does not have a Reed switch in the charger receptacle, so the cut off red wire at the ring terminal on the white wire from the charging receptacle is probably where the KSI (Key Switch and Interlocks) got its power from at some point in it former life.

Also looks like connecting both Red and Red/White wire from Run/Tow switch to the Battery side main terminal on the solenoid would work.

Other than that, the only thing I can suggest at this point is to wire it either like the original DCS schematic or the Alltrax schematic. Either should work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCS with DCX or NCX.JPG (166.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Kingpaul
Getting Wild

JohnnieB,
Also, on the diagram you sent me, what it the "Ignition Interlock" at top right? I see what you are talking about with regards to the red wire from the run/tow going to the battery side main terminal of solenoid. I don't see a red wire with a ring terminal coming down from the run/tow. As you can see on the pic#4 above, it appears that a red wire is attached to Pin 9. Any idea what this red I'm talking about is?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
Kingpaul
Getting Wild

JohnnieB,
I did not get ANY wiring instructions from EZGO when I received the dcs wiring harness. So, in pic1, combine those 2 on the battery side main terminal on solenoid? In pic3, what would that red wire be for? I can't thank you enough for your continued help!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Ignition interlock is the Reed switch in the charger receptacle that your cart does not have.
That is where the cart got B+, that (after it goes through the Run/Tow switch and Key switch) sets up the solenoid to be activated by the controller when the microswitch in the pedal box closes.

The Run/Tow switch has four wires, two in and two out. The two inputs (Red wire and Red/White wire) are the B+ source that runs the controller electronics and activate the solenoid. I have no idea what terminals are currently on those tow wires, but tie them together and connect both to battery side main terminal of solenoid, or anyplace else that has B+.

The other two wires (outputs) go to Pin-9 on controller and to the input to the F/R switch.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpaul View Post
JohnnieB,
I did not get ANY wiring instructions from EZGO when I received the dcs wiring harness.
1. So, in pic1, combine those 2 on the battery side main terminal on solenoid?
2. In pic3, what would that red wire be for? I can't thank you enough for your continued help!

1. No. I believe you said on came from the F/R switch. Nothing on F/R switches attaches directly to B+.
However, one side of the reverse beeper, which is inside the sliver hockey puck, is attached directly to B+. That may be where that wire goes, check it out to be sure so you don't start afire.

2. That might be where B+ was picked up for KSI circuit, have to trace it out with ohmmeter to find other end. If both ends are open, just leave them both disconnected.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
Kingpaul
Getting Wild

Again, thank you very much. I will work on it this evening. In the meantime, clear me some space in your garage...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO