lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Reversing Contactors from Scotty'B ???

Ok.....so I could.....and that's a big COULD make it through this hunting season with my current F\R setup on my TXT cart. But you know when your cart just kind of throws hints at you? I got in late the other evening and left the cart on the trailer. Well.....just a few days prior to that I had to tighten the main F\R nut as....for whatever reason...it had come a tad loose and was not making good contact.

But, as I usually do I like to make sure all things are "good" so I did not re-install the switch cover. Of course, when I left the cart outside it rained like crazy, the cart was on a slight downhill, and I had rain dripping on the F\R switch. So, for whatever reason, this darn near "locked up" the switch. I loosened the switch and it worked fine...but now when I move it from FWD to REV, the charge gauge light remains on instead of it's usual go out and then come back on when the contacts line up. (Man...did any of that make sense? )

So, after all of that dribble, and the fact that I have an Alltrax AXE4865, should I get the (Reversing Contactors from Scotty B's) Heavy Duty kit? Or (what I was thinking) the Super Duty kit? Why?....'Cause I'm gonna upgrade. So I may as well do it now and make it a better hunting season.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reversing Contactors from Scotty'B ???

Without thinking about it too hard, it's possible the problems with rain were the microswitches. As to the FNR freezing up, you can use a dielectric grease or vaseline. If your center nut is getting loose, you may need a new nylock.

As to upgrades, I'll leave that to the experts. I do know folks have done fine with HD FNRs, but I hear more and more stories from folks who have upgraded to reversing contactors and are happy.

I'd put the cover back on, and carry a screwdriver and a wrench to fit the center nut. If it works its way loose while out in the Styx hunting, the last thing you want is for it to melt-down.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A reversing contactor, whether from ScottyB or elsewhere, is way better then the old mechanical f&r board. If you have the ability to swap I say go for it. Much more reliable in the long run.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
mike777
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
A reversing contactor, whether from ScottyB or elsewhere, is way better then the old mechanical f&r board. If you have the ability to swap I say go for it. Much more reliable in the long run.

they are nice I like mine, only problem is the switch is easily bumped into N or even R while driving, with people or dog on board, I m gonna try and devise a solution to keep the switch from getting bumped
mike777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Thanks for your replies. I didn't think about the microswitches. I know on my last install, one of 'em gave me some grief and I had some tweeking to do with it in order to get it to properly slide up on the cam.

As for the F\R shaft itself, I usually put a small amount of Lithium grease on it to keep things moving smoothly, yet not a big gob so that things get gummed up.

For being "out dare in da woods" I have a military ammo box that contains a flat repair kit with plugs and several CO-2 cartridge's to fill 'em up, plus a small deep well socket set & driver & multi-tool should something go bad....I may (and that's a may) have a chance to limp back out. But...that's really a day killer.

So....can I upgrade? Yes. Now....which model do I need? The Impala SS....or the Corvette??

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:37 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike777 View Post
they are nice I like mine, only problem is the switch is easily bumped into N or even R while driving, with people or dog on board, I m gonna try and devise a solution to keep the switch from getting bumped
Simply add a toggle to the one or two "feed" wires. That way, you can enable or disable your FNR toggle switch.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:39 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
For being "out dare in da woods" I have a military ammo box that contains a flat repair kit with plugs and several CO-2 cartridge's to fill 'em up, plus a small deep well socket set & driver & multi-tool should something go bad....I may (and that's a may) have a chance to limp back out. But...that's really a day killer.
No smoking material?
Old 10-21-2013, 04:28 AM   #8
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike777 View Post
Move the switch to the dash like a PDS cart. That's what I do. Confuses people too. haha
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Turn the switch housing upside down. You could even flip the switch around so F is toward the driver and R is away.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Turn the switch housing upside down. You could even flip the switch around so F is toward the driver and R is away.
Wow, I never would have thought of that but thats a good idea.. Keeps the water out of the switch also.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO