lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2021, 09:26 PM   #1
hookem2oo7
Not Yet Wild

Default Broken g29 flywheel — Options?

I came across a free 2010 g29 that was not running. I replaced the fuse and it started up but it was smoking badly, so I decided to rebuild it. I have everything torn down that I can until my clutch removal bolt comes in. Everything was going smoothly until I took a closer look at the flywheel and noticed that it is cracked. I’ve been trying to find a replacement flywheel online with no luck. Will any other model fit? Are there aftermarket flywheels available. I searched and read all day before posting, so I am sorry if I missed the answer somewhere.
hookem2oo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2021, 09:27 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Broken g29 flywheel — Options?

I think used and new are your only options. Not sure if earlier models will interchange.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:51 PM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I would call Don Plowman a sponsor here. I would guess he can advice you on your options
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:33 PM   #4
hookem2oo7
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help. I got the clutch off with a little impact gun beating—it seemed like it was a pretty snug (seized) fit. Flipped it over and tried to get the flywheel off and zero luck. I’ve heated it up, tried freezing the crank with air duster, tried a puller, beat the crap out of it with a brass hammer while prying with a pry bar, nothing. Any tips for how to get this thing to let go?
Old 05-13-2021, 09:13 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

You need a BFH, a brass hammer just doesn't have the arse behind it. I typically will use a long 3/8" drive extension with a 5 lb hammer. Leave the nut on almost all the way. Give it a couple good hits, it should come off. I have also used a 3 jaw and left it on under tension, then give it a big whack. It sounds archaic, but they are just pressed on there, it will come off with enough force. One tip, use a nice big ratchet strap and secure the engine to the work bench so it doesn't go flying.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:18 PM   #6
hookem2oo7
Not Yet Wild

Those are all things that I’ve tried. By brass hammer, I’m talking about a 4 lb brass hammer. Definitely BFH material.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:23 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem2oo7 View Post
Those are all things that I’ve tried. By brass hammer, I’m talking about a 4 lb brass hammer. Definitely BFH material.
Ok, time to get the "blue wrench" out.

Steel vs Brass....I'm taking the steel hammer. Just saying. No give. Try it. If you don't have one, Harbor Frieght has them for $8. I have 4 different BFH's. 3 lb, 5 lb, 10 lb, and the ole handle filled with lead monster 20 lb beast.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:24 PM   #8
hookem2oo7
Not Yet Wild

That’s what is going to happen tomorrow. How hot is too hot? There’s no stators or anything to melt back there except the oil seal I am going to replace right?
Old 05-13-2021, 09:28 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem2oo7 View Post
That’s what is going to happen tomorrow. How hot is too hot? There’s no stators or anything to melt back there except the oil seal I am going to replace right?
Well, if you don't want to try a bigger steel hammer, then cherry red is the key. Don't heat the crank, just the flywheel around it. Work quickly. Just heat, no oxy blasts. Sounds like you've been there before. Cherry red then a big whack. Or you could keep your 3 jaw hooked up and loaded, then heat it up. It might just pop while you're heating.

Yes, if you get the flywheel too hot you could damage something, but it would have to be super duper hot. But, might be your only option.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #10
hookem2oo7
Not Yet Wild

I guess I'm in the market for a used JR6 engine or at least a block and crank. The flywheel is not coming off. I hit it so hard I mushroomed the end of the crank with not even a sign of movement. I'm not sure the block isn't starting to crack too because of how hard I hit it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha