lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #1
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Unhappy $700 mistake

The spouse was out of town for a month, came back and had to leave again after three days (her sister is in the hospital). While she was gone, she asked me to take care of her Yami. I have my own club car so I left her cart in the garage and threw the charger on it about once a week. The last time I checked (senior moment---can't remember when) the water level was fine. The other day, I decided that I would take it to the pet store to pick up some chow for her critters. It's only about ten miles round trip. I got about three miles and the meter bottomed out. I limped home with it and charged it, thinking she must have used it when she was home a couple of days and forgot to recharge it. It charged up and I took it for couple mile ride. Before storing it back in the garage, I checked the water level and ALL CELLS WERE DRY!!! Heaven help me when she gets back. I watered them and charged the batteries again. Barely in the white when the charger cut off. I unplugged it and plugged it back in again, hoping I can get a better charge on it. I just replaced my batteries because of one battery with a bad cell. I hope I didn't do another $700 blunder. Can't wait for her "I told you so."
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: $700 mistake

Charging dry batteries is the only thing worse than letting them get dry in the first place. I'm sorry, but I think you have diminished their capacity to retain amperage..... Try several back to back charge cycles.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Charging dry batteries is the only thing worse than letting them get dry in the first place. I'm sorry, but I think you have diminished their capacity to retain amperage..... Try several back to back charge cycles.
Yep, you're right. After charging it three times, back to back, the meter barely stays in the white. Yesterday, I drove it about five miles and charged it again. I am going to run it about five more miles today and charge it. I'm sure that I have allowed the already aged batteries to diminish even faster than they would normally. I have a lot of better things to do with that $700 it's going to cost me to replace her batteries. My bad.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:52 AM   #4
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Red face Re: $700 mistake

Well, I haven't replaced the batteries in the wife's cart yet. Even though I let them go dry enough to see dry plates, I was able to fill them up and charge them again. She drives several miles every day in the cart, and doesn't seem to notice the weak batteries. Her cart has not been modified (won't let me) so she only drives at about 13-14mph top speed. Her cart is a regen, so it seems slow to me anyway. Lesson learned: check on the wife's batteries when she is out of town.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #5
Jd62
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Well, I haven't replaced the batteries in the wife's cart yet. Even though I let them go dry enough to see dry plates, I was able to fill them up and charge them again. She drives several miles every day in the cart, and doesn't seem to notice the weak batteries. Her cart has not been modified (won't let me) so she only drives at about 13-14mph top speed. Her cart is a regen, so it seems slow to me anyway. Lesson learned: check on the wife's batteries when she is out of town.
Jd62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #6
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Update, in case anyone is interested:

She is still using her golf cart, almost daily. A couple times a week, she even drives it about ten miles or so. I have been watching the water and keeping it filled and it still keeps on moving along. Have to give Trojan batteries it's due.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Update, in case anyone is interested:

She is still using her golf cart, almost daily. A couple times a week, she even drives it about ten miles or so. I have been watching the water and keeping it filled and it still keeps on moving along. Have to give Trojan batteries it's due.
Thanks for letting us know, you obviously didn't hurt them too bad. They may have only been low on water for a short time before you refilled em
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha