lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2016, 09:09 AM   #11
CustomGolfCartGuy
Gone Wild

Default Re: how to turn on charger without cart: total charge charger not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
I would reconnect the relay to confirm that the problem is in the charger and not in the customers cart. It's the point of changing a hundred dollar board that might be from a simple wire on the customers cart being bad.......
ahh i understand where you going. im 99% sure its the charger just from the looks of the inside of it. he had new batterys and wires put in his cart over a month ago and the charger has been giving him problems for a year he said. so it sounds like hes changed everything else but the charger. i dont have anything 36 volt here at the moment (19 electric carts but all 4 so im kinda screwed on the testing.
CustomGolfCartGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #12
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: how to turn on charger without cart: total charge charger not working

If any of those carts are 8 battery at 6 volts, you would have 36 volts available by eliminating 2 batteries.
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #13
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If they have 8V batteries in them Wire the ground wire to the main ground and the hot wire from the test jumper to the 4th battery in line. This will give you roughly 32 volts and that charger should be able to turn on at that voltage.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #14
CustomGolfCartGuy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
If any of those carts are 8 battery at 6 volts, you would have 36 volts available by eliminating 2 batteries.
holy hell what carts take 8 batteries? lol
Old 09-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #15
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyscustoms View Post
Quite common, especially in stretched carts.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #16
CustomGolfCartGuy
Gone Wild

had a 48 volt club car i elimnated 2 batteries from to make 32, actually charged them up so they were a little above that and plugged the charger in and..... nothing happened. so its got a bad board 110 dollar part with .5 hour labor so roughly 150 dollar job. well the customer said screw fixing the old one, who knows if another part will go bad down the road. i said these are easy to fix its no big deal he said **** it lets get a new one. so i ordered him a 800 dollar charger and hes happy as can be. gotta love customers with money lol
Old 09-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #17
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Most Par Car run 8 batteries and anyone that wants serious range out of their 48 volt Club Car or EZGO will modify their cart for an 8 battery setup. I do them all the time around here.

Quote:
had a 48 volt club car i elimnated 2 batteries from to make 32, actually charged them up so they were a little above that and plugged the charger in and..... nothing happened. so its got a bad board 110 dollar part with .5 hour labor so roughly 150 dollar job. well the customer said screw fixing the old one, who knows if another part will go bad down the road. i said these are easy to fix its no big deal he said **** it lets get a new one. so i ordered him a 800 dollar charger and hes happy as can be. gotta love customers with money lol
Look at the bright side, you can fix their old charger and have a good used charger for around the shop.

Heck, you can bypass the board altogether and install a toggle switch on the 2 wires from the relay. Mount the switch to the face of the charger and you have a "hot" 36v charger for those carts that are way too low on juice to turn on a regular charger. (Just don't forget and leave it on a cart overnight lol)
Old 09-16-2016, 08:18 AM   #18
CustomGolfCartGuy
Gone Wild

Quote:

Look at the bright side, you can fix their old charger and have a good used charger for around the shop.

Heck, you can bypass the board altogether and install a toggle switch on the 2 wires from the relay. Mount the switch to the face of the charger and you have a "hot" 36v charger for those carts that are way too low on juice to turn on a regular charger. (Just don't forget and leave it on a cart overnight lol)
yep this is the plan, i ordered a new board when i ordered him the new charger. i do like the idea of a "hot" charger though, i hate charging batteries individually. im very interested in the 8 battery setup. i have a pallet of new 6 volts that would be perfect to start using them up.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #19
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
yep this is the plan, i ordered a new board when i ordered him the new charger. i do like the idea of a "hot" charger though, i hate charging batteries individually. im very interested in the 8 battery setup. i have a pallet of new 6 volts that would be perfect to start using them up.
you can do both.

Install a 3 position toggle in the face of the charger.

Route the incoming AC hot lead to the center connector on the toggle.

Run a wire from the lower pin of the toggle to the side of the relay that the incoming AC wire would normally go.

remove the transformer wire from the relay and make wire that will go from the relay to the top post of the 3way switch AND also connect to the Transformer wire.

Use 12 gauge stranded wire for all new jumpers.

Now when the switch is in the up position, the charger acts like it was originally designed. When in the middle, nothing at all works. When the switch is in the down position it acts as a HOT charger.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:18 AM   #20
CustomGolfCartGuy
Gone Wild

Quote:
you can do both.

Install a 3 position toggle in the face of the charger.

Route the incoming AC hot lead to the center connector on the toggle.

Run a wire from the lower pin of the toggle to the side of the relay that the incoming AC wire would normally go.

remove the transformer wire from the relay and make wire that will go from the relay to the top post of the 3way switch AND also connect to the Transformer wire.

Use 12 gauge stranded wire for all new jumpers.

Now when the switch is in the up position, the charger acts like it was originally designed. When in the middle, nothing at all works. When the switch is in the down position it acts as a HOT charger.

great idea! thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO