lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
808Pants
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default bent steering-arm?

I just bought a '99 DS Electric and am assessing stuff to repair. An obvious one is the crazily-uneven RF tire wear - needs replacement, it's so bad - bald on outside shoulder, fine on inside. But it also caught my eye that the steering-arm connection (welded to top of steering-arm) looks like it's somehow way closer to the tire sidewall than it could have been designed to be - it even scrubs the sidewall when the tire pressure is low (i.e. often). I don't see any obvious non-factory bend in those components, though. What's up with this? Tire pressure was high when the photo was taken.

Is it possible there's some wrong-wheel issue there?

Stop me before I start cutting and welding...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steering arm issue.jpg (36.3 KB, 18 views)
808Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: bent steering-arm?

Don't cut or weld anything.If its' bent,Get the wheels straight using the good-side.Then you can heat the steering arm on the bent-side(you should see a buckle in the steel or paint-flaking)Heat it at that point and slowly bend it back to where it is similar to the opposite-side,measure from the ground to the arm,and from the rim-edge to the arm.It helps if you have someone sit on the cart and hold the steering-wheel,also easier if you can pull the wheels and measure to the hub(more accurate and easier access to bend it).I've done quite a few of them like this,My Dads' Yammi was in a wreck and it was pretty bad,its' almost perfect now.After it cools(Do Not Cool It With Water,or anything else,Aircool only!),reset your alignment and you'll be good.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

that dosn,t look bent from here they are made bent like that but its possible the kingpin is bad so jack that up and give it the wiggle test see if theres a lot of slop in it......it has brass bushings upper and lower and they do wear out and the kingpins wear..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
that dosn,t look bent from here they are made bent like that but its possible the kingpin is bad so jack that up and give it the wiggle test see if theres a lot of slop in it......it has brass bushings upper and lower and they do wear out and the kingpins wear..............................
I'd jack it it up and give it the wiggle test. I bet that you have some worn parts.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
I'd jack it it up and give it the wiggle test. I bet that you have some worn parts.
....exactly.............................. ......
Old 02-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
wildandwonderfulprod
Gone Wild

Heck, if you're gonna lift it then just go with it! you'll get all new parts in the kit and you'll be home free
wildandwonderfulprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
808Pants
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Majority definitely ruled this time - kingpin bushings are whacked out. I'm not going to disassemble this to inspect until I have parts in hand - and soliciting suggestions for parts sources. What kind of problems am I in for in this project?

Re: bald/leaky tire on that wheel: Is it worth trying to change the tire out (keep the rim & swap tire myself somehow), or best to just swap it out whole with a new wheel assembly?

I also noticed that the shackle bushings are all but gone. Is someone selling polyurethane versions of these?

Finally - and I'm hijacking myself a bit here - does anyone have specific knowledge of hill-climbing capacity, ie in terms of % grade, degrees of slope, etc, for this 48V DS? My batteries are hopefully 'on the mend' with a defibrillator attached...but right now, it's pretty wimpy.
808Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

all the parts are available call some of the site sponsers, should be done in an hour or less ..................if you can get tire and wheel thats the way to go..............................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car