lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2021, 12:53 PM   #1
Mcurry1215
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 04 Club Car DS no reverse

I recently acquired a 2004 Ds that had been sitting up for a few years. I replaced the Controller and f/r switch but it will not move reverse. It will go forward but not reverse. Any help would be greatly apricated.
Mcurry1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2021, 01:04 PM   #2
Mcurry1215
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 04 Club Car DS no reverse

I checking voltage from battery pos to M- on controller. I have pack voltage with pedal pressed in foward but 0 volts if pedal is pressed in reverse. Could the new controller be bad?
Old 06-04-2021, 01:49 PM   #3
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is this a 48 volt cart with the forward reverse switch handle by your knee ? I'm trying to remember the setup on those. Some of the manual switches had a second cable to the bottom of the back of the FR switch so that it had reduced voltage reverse. You could run without that cable and have full speed reverse if you placed a jumper across the two bottom lugs of the switch. There were different configurations of the DS and I get them confused unless I'm looking at them. Without that cable and no jumper in place you would only have forward. If it has a rocker switch for F/R instead of a handle, then disregard this whole train of thought. A snapshot of the back of the FR switch would be helpful.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:08 PM   #4
Mcurry1215
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes, it is a 48v cart with the f/r switch handle by your knee. It has a white and a blue wire that goes to the inside lugs on the switch and a blue and orange wire on the outside that rotates. It also has the 3 micro switches on the top.

IMG_3602.jpg
Old 06-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #5
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcurry1215 View Post
Yes, it is a 48v cart with the f/r switch handle by your knee. It has a white and a blue wire that goes to the inside lugs on the switch and a blue and orange wire on the outside that rotates. It also has the 3 micro switches on the top.
If memory serves me correct, it's a small metric 8 socket that fits the screws that hold the blue and orange to the rotating part of the switch. Be careful of voltage ( unhook a battery cable from the main pack so you don't accidentally short something doing it ) and switch positions with the blue and orange cables. If it now runs reverse ( in the forward handle position ) but not forward, then you have a bad FR switch. All that switch does is swap position of those two cables. By swapping the cables on the switch you're doing that without the switch. If it runs forward it should run backward IF the switch is good.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:34 PM   #6
Mcurry1215
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just swapped the blue and orange wire and the cart now goes in reverse with switch in foward. Just seems odd that originally the cart would sometimes go into reverse with old switch before i changed the controller. Once i changed the controller it would never go in reverse so i changed the switch. So old and new f/r switch doing the same thing (no reverse).
Old 06-04-2021, 02:43 PM   #7
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I just swapped the blue and orange wire and the cart now goes in reverse with switch in foward. Just seems odd that originally the cart would sometimes go into reverse with old switch before i changed the controller. Once i changed the controller it would never go in reverse so i changed the switch. So old and new f/r switch doing the same thing (no reverse).
The problem definitely lies in the switch. You just proved the cart will run whichever way the switch tells it to run. I'm noticing something odd about the picture you posted. I'm seeing the contact lug on the passenger side of the cart well below the exposed brass contact bar on the switch. Is the handle in a mid position ? When you put that switch on you might have noticed that the cable in from the right side and the white cable into the bottom both go to horizontal bars on the inside. ( or you might can look at the one you took off ) In one position the orange cable should be contacted with the top bar and the blue with the bottom bar. In the other position they change contact bars top to bottom. The picture makes it look like the switch is not rotating far enough to make contact. It might be just a distortion in the way I am seeing the picture, but doesn't look right unless the switch is actually parked in a mid position.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #8
Mcurry1215
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

In the picture the handle in the neutral/ mid position.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:59 PM   #9
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
In the picture the handle in the neutral/ mid position.
OK, that was what caught my attention. Couldn't contact that way. You have everything you need to need to run forward and backward, just need to get that switch to switching. Also don't forget to unswitch blue and orange or you'll have slow forward, fast reverse. Controller is good, switch problem.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:02 PM   #10
Mcurry1215
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So i was just ohm the throttle from the 2 wires that connect to the controller. With the key off i am getting 5K ohm in neutral and forward at rest and it goes to about 1.5k with pedal pressed. But as soon as i switch to reverse i am getting 10k ohm at rest and about 5k with pedal pressed. I have just replaced the MCOR also. Is this normal?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car