lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2009, 09:22 PM   #11
Scottsmythe
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 Body

This thing is a piece of junk right now but it runs and drives good and I am going to buy it for next to nothing. I just thought maybe you guys would have some great ideas. The main thing is that I don't want it to look old which is hard since its old. Haha just let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart 002.jpg (98.0 KB, 73 views)
Scottsmythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2009, 05:41 AM   #12
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well, it has potential. Since the body is made of fiberglass, it is repairable if you are willing to put the time and effort into it. There are lots of these old G1's around- watch Craigslist and the for sale ads in your local newspaper. Check out yard sales in the summer. You may be able to pick up another cart with some better body panels. A former owner put a G2/G9 nose on one of my carts- doesn't look too difficult to do. Some paint, some TLC, better wheels & tires and it will look a LOT nicer. Just some thoughts.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
Scottsmythe
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have decided I will just paint it and fix the body. I am going to put a lift on it, new wheels and tires, a sound system, a new dash and lights, and whatever else I can find. I have done some research and actually Yamaha carts looks pretty much the same over the years so it doesn't have a really outdated look. How should I go about fixing the cracks in the body and painting it?
Old 12-31-2009, 04:10 PM   #14
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Looks like your G1 is a 1979 to 1981. They used fiberglass bodies, front and rear. Thats the good news, the bad news is.....fiberglass is "itchy", but you can add things and fiberglass them in and then mold/shape with Bondo to what ever extreme you want. Keep us posted with pic's!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 PM   #15
Scottsmythe
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I will take pictures all over after I complete the purchase and get it home. I will need you guys' help all along the way if you are willing to help. I appreciate it!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #16
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Large cracks and missing chunks can be fixed with a fiberglass repair kit. Small cracks,scratches, etc. are filled with Bondo. Everything you need can be found at a good auto parts/auto body supply store.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:33 PM   #17
Scottsmythe
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ok and how do I fix the grainy feel to the fiberglass? I'm thinking about painting it black. I want to add a windshield but there aren't any bars that connect from the top to the roof. How do I fix this?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #18
Stretch660
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Sorry to chime in late, but if you check out my "G1 Limo" thread in the member ride category you can see what it takes to graft a G16 cowl to a G1 body. There will be a lot of fab to do it, but it is possible if you are willing to put in the time. And I just a part time tinker with the cart thing.

(what you don't see is the new G16 dash behind the cowl)

If you decide to go the fiberglass route, you will just need to build up the layers of fiber and resin then sand it smooth. After smooth, bondo it and resand till desired finish.

Just my $.02.

Good luck.

Chris.
Stretch660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #19
Scottsmythe
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Wow looks really hard but yours looks great! I could also buy this EZ-GO cart but I hate the front cowl on it. Could I replace it with a newer one easier? Its a 1988 model.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #20
Scottsmythe
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Here it is. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EZ-GO 1.jpg (3.7 KB, 59 views)

Tags
body, gas, golf cart, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha