lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
wariddle
Not Yet Wild

Angry V Glide Problem...Help!

I purchased a 1991, 36 volt, lifted Club Car from my cousin last Fall. It has the big tires also. I just put in 6 new batteries last month. Night before last I am pulling my two kids behind the cart on a sled around the yard. The cart stops and does not go again. After taking apart the v glide, I realized the contact arm had melted at the plastic housing holding the contact and fallen down. Today I replaced the V glide with a new one, started pulling my kids around the yard again, and once again the same thing happened. At the top end, full speed/power, the darn thing is just melting away. I realize pulling the kids is creating a load, but it is not that much. Heck, they only weigh 170lbs total, and they are being pulled through snow. I am now going to replace the arm inside the V Glide. I also want to use this cart to put in and pull out my SeeDoo. How in the world is this going to work when it can't pull two small kids in the yard? The funny thing is that I saw my cousin pull his SeeDoo in and out last summer with this same cart. Only thing new are the 6 batteries. What in the world could be going on? What should I do? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.... Allen
wariddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Default Re: V Glide Problem...Help!

Heat is caused by bad contacts. The contacts on the VGlidehousing may be bad themselves, or if the VGlide is not adjusted right, the wiper arm may only be touching the contact pad on only part of the contact, if it travels a little too far, it goes beyond the contact pad and only gets a partial connection. Look close at all the contact areas and also look at the full throttle position of the wiper arm on the conatct pads themselves.
Something to start with at least
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Like Ox says check for full contact at each square button and remember these carts were not designed with pulling anything in mind ... You could convert it to a controller and eliminate the V-glide ...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
wariddle
Not Yet Wild

Yes. The wiper arm is going over the final contact about 1/8th of an inch. So then if I just adjust the throttle so that it has full contact at full power, then I should not have the overheating/melting problem?

What would converting from the v glide to a controller give me as far as advantages? Cost? This is all new to me.

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No you need to be sure you are getting full contact at each button not 75% or 30% but 100% of surface to surface contact on each button...Do the buttons show signs of arching or burning?
A controller conversion is an upgrade to a solid state drive system which costs $$$ in parts but completely eliminates these parts & this problem.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

$500-$600 cost for everything...the advantages would be longer run times and no worries of heat and poor contacts and shaky performance from a tempermental VGlide system. The resistors get real hot as they are cutting down the voltage going to the motor by means of resistance and the excess voltage is almost burned off in the form of heat. Its almost like a giant light bulb filament. The voltage is always being used so it cuts into runtime. With a controller it acts like a very fast on/off switch which is regulated by the amount of throttle signal that is supplied to it. The higher throttle signal, the faster it switches the on/off switch of power..only using what the motor needs, no excess wasted voltage being burned off. Its a much more reliable system, just takes a little fab work and some mechanical aptitude which you obviously have demonstrated by taking apart the VGlide and understanding what was going on in there

Also the wiper arm has an in/out adjustment...so make sure the wiper arm contact is also flat on the terminal contacts and not having only top or bottom edge touching from a misadjustment when replacing.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

ScottyB--I must be missing something in the price, you would know more than me so go with Scottys numbers.

I was thinking :
150 for PB-6
300-350 for logicsystems(ebay) controller
75-100 for cables 4 gauge, if build yourself
50 misc. hardware for pivot arm, terminals and whatever else

Let me know where I'm off because I'm planning this for myself in the near future. I've got the 4 gauge cables already -- what did I miss??? Thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
wariddle
Not Yet Wild

This morning I installed a brand new V glide still in the Club Car plastic bag. I took the cover off and looked at the wiper arm move as I pressed the throttle. It made perfect contact with all of the buttons. The only problem was that I allowed the arm to move past the final button slightly. My dumb mistake. I guess this is the problem. Also, I noticed the final button had slightly melted around it on the plastic. This caused it to slightly be depressed into the plastic housing. I was able to break it free, and replace this button with one from my old V Glide. I just wrapped some electrical tape around the back of the button, seated it in place, then screwed it into place. It appears that it is now at the same depth as all the other buttons on the V Glide. Tomorrow, I will buy and install a new wiper arm. I will make sure that the arm does not pass the final button at all. I believe this should work. Right?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordlawn View Post
ScottyB--I must be missing something in the price, you would know more than me so go with Scottys numbers.

I was thinking :
150 for PB-6
300-350 for logicsystems(ebay) controller
75-100 for cables 4 gauge, if build yourself
50 misc. hardware for pivot arm, terminals and whatever else

Let me know where I'm off because I'm planning this for myself in the near future. I've got the 4 gauge cables already -- what did I miss??? Thanks

.......batteries?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

OH! well geez if you're going to throw the obvious out there well...

sorry I did forget about the batteries because they were done first on mine as the cart I bought needed them right away, so I upgraded to 48V immediately. That means I forgot about the solenoid too then. woops

but, after re-reading his first post he stated he had new batteries, can a controller be done on a 36V cart ?

Tags
v glide club car
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car