lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
Boris
DELETED

Default Identifying an EZGO Workhorse rear axle

I just picked up an EZGO Workhorse rear axle and I remember somewhere in here where someone was talking about some of the the workhorse axles were positive traction.

Question: Is there a way to ID the rear end to know if I happen to have one of these?

Thanks
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Identifying an EZGO Workhorse rear axle

Only Workhorse to have a "lockable" axle were the ST 480's

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
TX Buggie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Jack up the rear, or put axle on jack stands, spin a wheel or hub, if the opposite wheel spins the same direction it is locked, if it spins opposite direction, it is open diff.
TX Buggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I just picked up an EZGO Workhorse rear axle and I remember somewhere in here where someone was talking about some of the the workhorse axles were positive traction.

Question: Is there a way to ID the rear end to know if I happen to have one of these?

Thanks
I remember hearing this one time about the Cushman Commanders (basically the same series cart) but I doubt it's true. I never checked. The rears are Dana products and they don't list any posi option other than the lockers like used in the ST480 and Commander 4800 and their ring & pinion rears http://www.dana.com/offhighway_syste...t/OPE-2004.pdf
If your use to carts you can tell just by driving if it's posi, it'll push in the turns. or just check like tx buggie said.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Boris
DELETED

OK, I'm ready to be schooled, further .........
So, if you have one of these rears, it'll push into corners (fulltime) pretty much the same as if you were to weld the spider-gears .... correct?
Another series of questions now ............ Imagine that huh?
Are the differential cases any different between the ST480 and the stock workhorse? meaning,....... are theST480's beefed up to withstand the extra pressure put onto the components themselves?(bushings/bearings etc.)
and finally ..... Will the pieces from the ST480 slip directly into the pumpkin of the regular workhorse without any major mods?.......

Thanks Guys
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

The locker only pushes when you have it engaged, welded gears would always. for some reason the pushing effect seems amplified the longer your wheelbase is. I never put alot of thought into why this is, I just feels that way to me.
The cases are the same, the locker part is a bolt on, The axle tube (on that side) is different,(shorter) I don't know if the axles are. The overall size of the rear is wider but I believe that's because of the brakes and hubs, they're different,(the 480 has bigger hydraulic brakes/pads) i'm not sure if the standard brakes/hubs can be use, I would guess they could because dana list them as an option.
That's pretty much what I know about them other than it works great. Dana would be the ones to ask.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO