lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
CMillet86
Not Yet Wild

Default Cushman GT-1 Predator swap

So I acquired this GT-1 for basically nothing, the Kohler 8 horse was toast and the cart itself was pretty rough. I was able to swap a predator in about 3 hours, but the factory clutch had broken springs so I ordered a 780 from CPP. Also put a filter and exhaust on the engine, runs very well. It's actually scary fast in my opinion. Still needs lots of work but I have so little money in it, totally worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 387.jpg (205.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 376.jpg (229.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 396.jpg (215.2 KB, 0 views)
CMillet86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2021, 04:52 PM   #2
distilledjon
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Cushman GT-1 Predator swap

Did you add a fuel pump? Isn’t that engine gravity fed? If so how?
distilledjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:45 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Cool little project! Sometimes the "free" carts are the best ones, well, because....why not? Looks like you might need a new belt. You think it has good torque now, wait until you put a HD Kevlar ribbed belt in that beast!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:48 PM   #4
distilledjon
Not Yet Wild

Did you have any restrictions on speed from the cart? Did you have to do something special to get it going "scary fast"?
I put a honda gx630 in with a commet 780 clutch and its almost as though a governor or something is slowing it down. When I go down hills something is restricting it. cant get more than 10mph.
distilledjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:47 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by distilledjon View Post
Did you have any restrictions on speed from the cart? Did you have to do something special to get it going "scary fast"?
I put a honda gx630 in with a commet 780 clutch and its almost as though a governor or something is slowing it down. When I go down hills something is restricting it. cant get more than 10mph.
What rpm are you running at? What size tires? These are essential details to determine if your setup is working correctly.

Most stock carts have ground speed governors attached to the transaxle. This limits how fast the cart will go on the top end. Most of these can be adjusted for more top end speed, or disabled altogether.

Most small engines come with some type of governor that limit the rpm of the engine. I believe the Honda uses an electronic style that can't be bypassed. Most are governed to around 3600-4000 rpm max.

Tire size is one of the things that will change your top speed. Stock sized 18" golf cart tires will usually allow a stock cart, with the governor adjusted, to go about 15 mph or so. Larger tires like 20" will get you up to 19 mph. 22" tires about 23 mph. All this is assuming you are able to rev the engine to 4000 rpm.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps