lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
smokenjoep01
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Question Harley Softail Evo Powered EZ Go

Hello, I'm new to the forum and found it doing a google search looking for info on the new project I wanna start. I have a old broken EZ Go and a Harley Evolution Softail drivetrain. I do lots of mechanical repairs and fabrication on Harleys.
Anybody have any info on this being done yet? Any tips or info that would help are greatly appreciated. I'm gonna get some ideas and then make a plan.
smokenjoep01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Harley Softail Evo Powered EZ Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenjoep01 View Post
Hello, I'm new to the forum and found it doing a google search looking for info on the new project I wanna start. I have a old broken EZ Go and a Harley Evolution Softail drivetrain. I do lots of mechanical repairs and fabrication on Harleys.
Anybody have any info on this being done yet? Any tips or info that would help are greatly appreciated. I'm gonna get some ideas and then make a plan.
Don't know much about Harley's, so I can't help much there. But I would think the torque would be killer When I started my bike engine build, I looked at straight axle's/chain drive, cvt/belt driven drive, and really liked the "trike" motorcycle transaxle's offered (could be belt or chain). I tried a differant route, a Ford 9", but mine isn't done yet, so I can't even say it will work. Look at some of these great builds and it may give you a better idea of what you had invissioned. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Now this I am interested in!!!!!! I did find a Harley powered cart on the net a long time ago but nobody has built one here, I would have used a Harley engine if I could have got one as cheap as the RR I have. If you want to use a straight axle let me know I have experience with that.
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Welcome to BGW!

You have the attention of two of the best fabbers on this entire board. ASK THEM QUESTIONS, they WILL have answers, and if they don't know they can figure it out WITH you. Best of luck!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

yep, got this one on my to watch list.
Go for it!!
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
smokenjoep01
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies. Havent got any ideas as to what I will use for a rear end. Were using a electric cart as a donor. I was told a gas cart rear end might be a good choice as it has a reverse. I'm not sure how the power from the motor is transfered to the rear end on a gas cart. Do they have a drive shaft? Gears? Hopefully it a chain and sprocket!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Gasser rear axles have a Driven clutch that can be removed and a small sprocket installed, you have to be sure the axle is from a 4 stroke engine. I dont know if the Cart axle will handle the torque of the Evo but it's def worth a try.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenjoep01 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Havent got any ideas as to what I will use for a rear end. Were using a electric cart as a donor. I was told a gas cart rear end might be a good choice as it has a reverse. I'm not sure how the power from the motor is transfered to the rear end on a gas cart. Do they have a drive shaft? Gears? Hopefully it a chain and sprocket!
Rifters style straight axle is a proven chain drive system. You can add a sprocket and a small starter motor for reverse. Yes a 4 cycle gasser transaxle, will give you f/r shift capability, but will it handle the torque from that Harley power plant? What is the torque rateing of that engine? Many smarter members hear then I, so I'll keep watching to see what you have instore. Hope the donor car is not "too old", you could have some serious front end (suspenssion/steering) stability concerns with that set up. Thanks for shareing. PS, Thanks for the kind words Gman, but don't forget, Crash/Rodger/Groundpounder/Frister/JRL and so many more I have left out that have built one off bike engine cars.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
smokenjoep01
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you all for the solid info. As soon as I get the cart to my shop I will get the year model info. Def want to make sure that I got the susp/brakes properly set up.
The motors power numbers are around 60hp 65tq. I would like to use the entire Harley motor, transmission, primary (including charging system) With a sprocket on the out putshaft going to a sprocket on the rearend. Depending on engine placement I may have to use a jacksaft setup.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Chain drive setup and upgraded front suspension, I've had it over 100 MPH.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00043vu4.jpg (168.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg front suspension.jpg (255.0 KB, 39 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps