lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
smoother
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO engine swap

Go get a cup of coffee as this may take a while to read. I'm good at making a long story longer.
I have a 90 ezgo and am installing a Briggs 18 horse. I looked all over for an ezgo trans axle and couldn't find anything so I ended up getting a CC trans out of a 94. This it turns out presents a whole new set of issues. The most minor being an inch narower. The most major being the casting on the trans that makes up the governor system. It prevents getting the engine close enough with the limited sizes of belts. Yeah, don't bother telling me I made a mistake buying the cc trans. I already know that. But that being said, I am determined to make this work. I have a few options the way I see it. I can find a belt somewhere that will allow this in a regular manner.The world of industrial belts is awsome. Or I can take the trans apart and remove the govenor parts and mill the casting to offer me the room I need.Or I can drop the motor into the bag well and have a wheelie machine. I'm waiting for clutches right now so I have been getting the machine lifted and that's about done. So now I am at the point of making the engine mount and welding the trans to the swing arm.After that is the basic plumbing of throttle and choke cables ,a few wires and it's done. I need to find out what the greatest center to center dimension Is that I can use a "stock" belt might be. I have tons of room to move the engine. Also, is a driven clutch directional? Can it be run in either direction and still be "adjustable"
Theres's alot ot be said about taking time to get lots of info and yet there is something to be said about jumping in with both feet.
Next is the governor on the engine. I'm only doing this swap because I can. I had the engine for years and hated the two stroke. I'm not looking to make a race car but look at this thing as a tool. Is it really that big a deal to not take the governor off?What are the pro's and cons?It's only a half hours work but is this something that should be done I guess is what I'm asking.
So think about this and dig into you memories and offer some of your triumphs and mistakes.
Thanks
smoother is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!