lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Question Delay or hesitation when starting.. Is this normal?

When I depress the pedal, theres a delay of about one or two seconds before the starter turns over.. Is this normal for these carts (older 2pg marathon)? If not, what should I check to resolve the issue? The battery is good, so I'm thinking maybe worn brushes in the starter/generator or maybe a switch going bad. Opinions?
Plumbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: Delay or hesitation when starting.. Is this normal?

Mine does the same thing and it has a new belt and new starter/gen brushes.I would say yes its normal.Mine also has a new battery it's an 87 so I just let it do what it wants.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin161 View Post
Mine does the same thing and it has a new belt and new starter/gen brushes.I would say yes its normal.Mine also has a new battery it's an 87 so I just let it do what it wants.
Ah, thats good to hear. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have an 83 marathon and it does the same or similar thing. When I depress the pedal, it whines a little, then I let off the throttle and try again. The hesitation, with associated whine, goes away after a few tries. This happens intermittently.
Race Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Weird.. Mine doesn't whine or do anything for about 2 seconds after pressing the pedal. Then it finally springs to life. It doesn't go away either.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
racin161
Gone Wild

Race Chaser I would look at your belt adjustment. As I said just replaced mine as I didn't have any adjustment left. I new that when I did my rebuild but it was late and wanted to get it going. It did produce a bit of a whine before starting before I changed it.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Plumburgs,
If you hear nothing then I will bet that you have a bad connector associated with your solenoid or indeed a sticky solenoid. I would pull the plug lead off (so it doesn't run away with you) and put a voltmeter across the two small terminals of the solenoid. With the key on, as soon as you depress the throttle you should see 12 volts. If you do then the throttle microswitch is good. Now connect the negative of your meter to your negative battery post and the positive to one of the big terminals on the solenoid. If you see 12 volts then connect to the other terminal, now depress the accelerator. I bet that you see nothing for 2 seconds then 12 volts.
If this is the case your solenoid is sticky or the shaft as a little corrosion. In either case a new solenoid will fix you up.

If this is not the case please let me know as I always enjoy the humiliation of going out onto a limb and being wrong.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Dave. I'll have to pick up a volt meter and check it out. I'll let you know the results.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
racin161
Gone Wild

I'm bum n if I need to by another solenoid well I guess granddaughter could have got the best of mine G PAWS got dough Good call Dave
Old 10-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Ok racin, just hold off until the results of the Plumbergs test are back. I could be wrong ( I was once).

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO