lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Supersquid
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Difference between 69 vs 76

I rebuilt my 69 Harley but used parts from a 1976. The cases, crank are from the 1976 engine. Top end, electronics and carb was pulled of the 1969 engine. Now the rebuilt engine does not run correctly. Did I miss something? I ordered a carb rebuild kit, new points, and condenser from the great folks at Vintage. Just thought I would check with everyone while I wait for part. Thanks
Supersquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: Difference between 69 vs 76

please explain (run correctly) so far there is not enough data.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Supersquid
Getting Wild
Club Car

The cart loses power and dies. Pull the choke and she starts back up again.
On the ground very little power and dies at speed. The compression is 90-95psi, all the crank seal are new, all the crank bears and I put a new exhust on last month. I have had issues setting my timing. I can NOT set the point gab to .022. When I use the timing mark against the fly wheel the points do not open high enough, only about .015. So I ordered new points and condisor from Vintage. I also order a carb rebuild kit just to be sure. It is almost like it is losing spark at higher RPM or when I put the engine back togther could I have missed something? This is the same problom I had before the rebuild. Just kinda lost and I am now throughing parts at the problem. My life is thrilled!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

The points set at maximun TDC .022 to .024. If the points can not be set at the proper setting the point cam is worn. I don't understand what mark you are trying to set the .022 at. That should be TDC. I think your timing is not set properly.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
Supersquid
Getting Wild
Club Car

Let me try to explain, I turned the engine until the points where open as much as possible from the cam. I then used my feeler gauge to check the gab. I can get the point gab to open to .022/.024. I tighten the screw that holds the points to the plate.

Then I turned the engine to find the first timing mark using a flashlight to peak through the small hole. Once I find the timing mark, I addjusted the points using the timing plate so that the points just start to open. Once I have the point set using the timinng mark I tighten the 2 screws that hold the plate on. Now the problem is when I go back to check the timing gab, You guest it now the time gab is wrong. The gab is now way to close togther. What am I doing wrong? Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Once you set the points to .022 at TDC don't adjust the gap again. The point plate should be adjusted in forward as well as reverse. I mean the points should just open when you get to the timing mark 25 degrees before TDC. reverse the crank rotation to 25 degrees before TDC in the other direction. Adjust the point plate so the points open at the same mark ! Mark is on one side of TDC and the other is on the other side of TDC. If the points open the same place either side but not on the marks then adjust points to open on the mark. they could be .022 to .025. Then the engine will be timed correctly in forward as well as reverse. I know that is not clear and I have wrote better directions for timing and they are all on this forum. Use the search box to locate them.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Supersquid
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thank you so much I think I understand now. I was adjusting the points to .022 using the high point off the Cam. Oops, I love these old carts very fun to futz with.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

The high point off the cam is TDC. Just set the points at max to .022 then turn the point plate to open the points on the 25 BTC mark and it should be close enough to run!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson