lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
blkbnzoo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Toe in

I have a 2013 club car president. Right front tire wearing bad in the middle. Tried lowering all the tire pressure from 22 psi to 20. Fourteen inch wheels with golf course ready tires. Was told to check the toe. Upon measuring the width from the middle of the front tires, and back there 4 inches different. fronts are 36 inches wide from the middle of the tires. Rears are 42 inches from middle of the tires.
Is there any reason for the rear tires width to be 4 inches wider then the front. Could use some ideas before I call golf repair shop
blkbnzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2019, 06:08 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Toe in

4 inches is A LOT. I suspect you have a bent spindle or somebody has been tampering with the toe settings. I'm not sure you can even achieve a 4" difference just from incorrect settings.... lol. Something has to be bent. Got any pictures?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:13 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

If you are talking front and rear tires, the carts wheelbase is designed like that to not "track" up or rut the golf course when you are driving over it.

The proper way to measure your Toe is measure between the outside edges half way up of the front of the front tires and then measure between the outside edges half way up of the back of the front tires. The difference will tell you in you are toed in or out. If you are looking for one tire over the others, get the center point on the front end, mark it, then measure from that point to the outside edge of each front tire to determine if it is one or the other.

Proper Toe is 1/8"-1/4" toed-in when comparing the front measurement to the back side of the front tires.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Rear axle is wider than the front.
Measuring toe angle you measure front to rear on the SAME axle, which in this case would only be the FRONT axle. So only measure the FRONT TIRES.

Wear only in the center is almost always due to air pressure being too high.
I run around 17 psi in most of my electric carts. I think the Precedents like to run 15-16 in the front and 17 or so in the back. Seems that way based on tire wear that I've seen on our carts.

If you have that wear on only one tire, it could be a combination of air pressure and incorrect toe angle, but it doesn't have to be off by much.
It could also be a defective tire.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:06 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I think you guys are right. I think he's measuring the rear tires. It took me a couple of adult beverages to think more clearly and see exactly what he was trying to say.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm still hung up on the measurements and math. 36" Front - 42" Rear would be 6 inches. To the OP, get 2 yard sticks and tape them to the outside of the front tires, centered on the wheels and horizontal. You can easily check toe with a tape measure. Leave the yard sticks in place during toe adjustment until dialed in.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter450 View Post
I'm still hung up on the measurements and math. 36" Front - 42" Rear would be 6 inches. -snip-
Dang subtraction....Just give me some good ole calculus!
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well, the 4" is almost right, the other numbers are wrong... Club Car lists the Precedent specs:
Front: 34.5"
Rear: 38.6"
blkbnzoo, the wheel threads are different to minimize Turf damage.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:50 PM   #9
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Nothing like pictures.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80...page=71#manual
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:59 PM   #10
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the wear is in the centre it is almost certainly caused by over inflation. Toe-in or out wearing causes "feathering" one way or the other in the tread.

Someone may have pumped the tyres up to a pressure that they used on their car. The correct pressure for standard wheels on a golf cart is 20 psi, no more.

Nole is right for the toe-in setting. the measurement across the front of the front tyres (to the middle on both sides) is usually 1/8" less than the measurement across the back of the front tyres.

Your wear pattern, though, indicates incorrect inflation rather than toe.

Don't forget that after it is corrected the new wear pattern will take a long time to show up, especially on grass. You may even want to run them slightly under-inflated to wear the outsides and even up the wear (say 18 psi).

Here's an article on wear patterns https://www.knowyourparts.com/techni...ing-tire-wear/
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car