lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
dreed55
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2001 ezgo txt works fine in forward but not reverse. Please help!

I have a 2001 Ezgo TXT series with Alltrax 48400 controller and SW180 solenoid and HD f&r switch. The cart works fine in forward. When I shift into reverse I get nothing. No solenoid click, controller does not turn on. I have done a ton of testing with the DVM and can not trace the problem. Curious if anyone has had this problem. Need some help with this one. Thanks
dreed55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 ezgo txt works fine in forward but not reverse. Please help!

The cam in the F/R switch is not rotating far enough for MS-2's roller to drop into the detent and activate the solenoid and turn on controller. (The voltage that activates solenoid also turn on controller).

The F/R switch's mounting holes are oblong, so move it left or right until solenoid clicks in both F and R.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
dreed55
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks johnnie! I was actually able to get it to work last night by switching around the micro switches on the f&r switch. Finally!
Old 11-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
dreed55
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Need some more help on this thread. After I was able to get reverse to work the cart was running fine in forward and reverse. Now I have zero reverse. I still get power to the controller and I get the correct sequence of green lights on the Alltrax controller as well. The solenoid is also activating. Forward works fine. Reverse just stopped working randomly, the cart does not even try to move when in reverse. I can not figure out why I can not get it to move. I have checked wiring and nothing has changed since the cart was working perfectly. Solenoid and controller get full voltage when the pedal is down. Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks
Old 11-25-2019, 04:06 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I it runs in forward and the solenoid clicks in reverse as well as the controller powering up, the problem is the high current contacts in the F/R switch assembly are not making good contact when reverse is selected.

You might try tightening the nut on the shaft (highlighted in attached drawing), but you probably need a new F/R switch assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Series F-N-R Exploded - Nut highlighted.JPG (50.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
dreed55
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I it runs in forward and the solenoid clicks in reverse as well as the controller powering up, the problem is the high current contacts in the F/R switch assembly are not making good contact when reverse is selected.

You might try tightening the nut on the shaft (highlighted in attached drawing), but you probably need a new F/R switch assembly.
Thanks Johnnie I just tried that and it did not work unfortunately. The f&r switch is new on the cart. What would make the switch go bad already?
Old 11-25-2019, 04:47 PM   #7
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

HEAT...Replace dozens of these with only heat damage to one terminal Usually the bottom one. Possibly due to the 4 motor cables not being replace with at least 4ga.
Consider if you must buy a replacement the heavy duty reversing contactors sold by our Site Sponsor Carts Unlimited is a more reliable option
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #8
dreed55
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
HEAT...Replace dozens of these with only heat damage to one terminal Usually the bottom one. Possibly due to the 4 motor cables not being replace with at least 4ga.
Consider if you must buy a replacement the heavy duty reversing contactors sold by our Site Sponsor Carts Unlimited is a more reliable option
Yes Labrat if the switch is bad already I will definitely replace with a reversing contractor. I am going to try to plug the controller in to Alltrax program and see if there is any issues there.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:06 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreed55 View Post
Yes Labrat if the switch is bad already I will definitely replace with a reversing contractor. I am going to try to plug the controller in to Alltrax program and see if there is any issues there.
FYI for a series cart the controller does not know if you are in forward or reverse. The controller function is exactly the same in both directions which is why JB suggested the problem was in the F&R switch. The only reverse aware function of the controller is reduced speed when a wire delivers power to the J1 blue terminal when the F&R is in the reverse position. But still the controller is ignorant as you can apply this signal in forward and get reduced forward speed.

So look at the F&R switch studs and contacts for any discoloration.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #10
dreed55
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
FYI for a series cart the controller does not know if you are in forward or reverse. The controller function is exactly the same in both directions which is why JB suggested the problem was in the F&R switch. The only reverse aware function of the controller is reduced speed when a wire delivers power to the J1 blue terminal when the F&R is in the reverse position. But still the controller is ignorant as you can apply this signal in forward and get reduced forward speed.

So look at the F&R switch studs and contacts for any discoloration.
Thanks Scotty, I appreciate the reply. I just plugged in the controller to the alltrax program on the computer and the controller blinks like it is connected but I do not get any information about my controller on the program. I wanted to look in the options and tools to see if something was going on with the throttle but when I clicked edit throttle settings nothing happens in the alltrax program. Regardless of that all of the wires on the f&r switch look fine. None of them burnt or discolored in any way.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO