lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2019, 08:40 PM   #1
fstop
Gone Wild

Default RXV basics - year changes, controllers to avoid, etc...

I'm considering replacing my TXT from 2000 or so. Changed to 48v and changed motor / controller many years ago - 27 or so speed on the street.
It's a little squirrely at that speed but I'm used to it. 19.6 is too slow for longer distances...

I like certain features of the RXV (independent front suspension, AC drive, etc...) and would like to know basically which years to avoid if looking at a used cart.

As I understand it:

1) Controller - Curtis controller from late 2012-2019.
A) If I buy a new cart can a 2019 controller be plugged into a 2020 RXV and nothing else needs to be changed?

2) Cart itself - I see some parts listings for 2008-2016. Did they make changes to the RXV in 2017 - or later? I was assuming 2012-2019 carts were
identical?

Lithium / Elite:

1) Do these carts use the same speed controller (Curtis) as the lead acid carts, and are they programmed the same? I.E. is the only difference the battery itself and the charger?

General controller modification question:

When the controller is re-programmed by Bob for a 28 ish top speed (assuming I'm using slightly larger tires than stock - say 10-12" wheels with enough tire to dull the bumps and still fit inside the fender wells), what are the "downsides", or changes to the way it drives? I'm guessing there are other characteristics to the way it drives after being re-programmed, but maybe there are none at all.

Thanks for any help or insight!
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2019, 04:46 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV basics - year changes, controllers to avoid, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
I'm considering replacing my TXT from 2000 or so. Changed to 48v and changed motor / controller many years ago - 27 or so speed on the street.
It's a little squirrely at that speed but I'm used to it. 19.6 is too slow for longer distances...

I like certain features of the RXV (independent front suspension, AC drive, etc...) and would like to know basically which years to avoid if looking at a used cart.

As I understand it:

1) Controller - Curtis controller from late 2012-2019.
A) If I buy a new cart can a 2019 controller be plugged into a 2020 RXV and nothing else needs to be changed?

2) Cart itself - I see some parts listings for 2008-2016. Did they make changes to the RXV in 2017 - or later? I was assuming 2012-2019 carts were
identical?

Lithium / Elite:

1) Do these carts use the same speed controller (Curtis) as the lead acid carts, and are they programmed the same? I.E. is the only difference the battery itself and the charger?

General controller modification question:

When the controller is re-programmed by Bob for a 28 ish top speed (assuming I'm using slightly larger tires than stock - say 10-12" wheels with enough tire to dull the bumps and still fit inside the fender wells), what are the "downsides", or changes to the way it drives? I'm guessing there are other characteristics to the way it drives after being re-programmed, but maybe there are none at all.

Thanks for any help or insight!
Controllers are interchangable amongst the lead/acid battery carts. A 2019 or earlier controller will work in a 2020 RXV, as long as it is not an elite.

The elite requires a controller/BMS combo, and that controller has special programming for that interfacing. It will not work in a non-elite cart without modification to the programming. I have done this before, but do not recommend it. Regular RXV controllers are plentiful and fairly inexpensive, while elite controllers are much harder to find.

Stock 18" tires will deliver 26-27 MPH, 20.5" tires will deliver 30-32 MPH, The range is due to tires not being exact in size to their rating, and inflation pressure differences. 20.5" tires are the largest that the RXV controllers are designed to turn. Going larger causes the motor maps in the controller to go out of range of the stock calibration. This can damage the motor and controller.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Controllers are interchangable amongst the lead/acid battery carts. A 2019 or earlier controller will work in a 2020 RXV, as long as it is not an elite.

The elite requires a controller/BMS combo, and that controller has special programming for that interfacing. It will not work in a non-elite cart without modification to the programming. I have done this before, but do not recommend it. Regular RXV controllers are plentiful and fairly inexpensive, while elite controllers are much harder to find.

Stock 18" tires will deliver 26-27 MPH, 20.5" tires will deliver 30-32 MPH, The range is due to tires not being exact in size to their rating, and inflation pressure differences. 20.5" tires are the largest that the RXV controllers are designed to turn. Going larger causes the motor maps in the controller to go out of range of the stock calibration. This can damage the motor and controller.
Great information - exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

So do you generally program the controllers identically if the user wants to take his cart up from the stock 20 or so, so any difference in speed is due to the specific tires / wheels? I can PM you for further specifics when I get to that point to spare forum members more details here...

I'd put on 20.5 diameter road tire / mild offroad type combo. I'd be very happy with 30. I know my (non lifted) TXT I've had since new is not all that stable at 27 - never has been, so hopefully the RXV will be a little better in this regard.

Thanks again for your time and input.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:35 PM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I had a 2012 RXV(curtis) built to order in spring of 2016. Part of the build was a brand new 2016 body. Supposedly there is a change to the rear. I have compared it to a 2011 side by side and there is a small difference but very subtle and you'd have to have an eye for detail to see it. I think they also changed the front bumper in 2016. As you can see I have a brush guard and the 2016 bumper looks like it would interfere with that.
The controller was adjusted to the factory authorized 19.6 mph limit (on standard tires). An easy 2 step process that only takes a minute or 2. My cart has 21" tires so top speed was actually 23-24 with NO degradation in torque.
I also have a 2000 TXT converted to 48v. The two carts are vastly different in how they drive and I urge you to refrain from making a snap judgement when first driving the RXV. I found myself liking the RXV more and more over time.
A year ago this month, Bob tuned my cart in person which I recommend if possible. I can't speak for him as to what he does but it is much more than just removing restrictions. Acceleration and regen braking are also tuneable. Regen is especially important when your in the 20s and low 30s. He can tune the cart to how you like it to drive but IMO you should have logged some time on it before hand so you know what you want from it. I loved the cart before but after Bob's tuning it is awesome! Disclaimer: How you perceive the RXV will vary by the environment you operate in IMO. Not as impressive in the flats of Florida as the small hills of the Atlanta area.

The cart as pictured will run 32mph easily. I have seen 36mph on a slight downhill. It is very stable at those speeds but I had a professional align it and it has dual action rear springs. All suspension components were inspected/replaced at build up. I haven't gone that fast with any significant weight on the rear seat. At those speeds stopping is an issue.

Summary: You need a mid 2012 or later RXV with the curtis controller. EZGO model years are June to June so mid 2012 is ruffly Jan. The majority of these carts come with 4x12v batteries. 6x8v conversion is available which I recommend. When Bob did my cart it was an 18 mile round trip to where he was. After the trip the batteries were still at 80% capacity remaining and the cart still hit 32mph no problem. 6x8v Trojan T-875s at the time were 2.5 years old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0631.jpg (612.6 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I had a 2012 RXV(curtis) built to order in spring of 2016. Part of the build was a brand new 2016 body. Supposedly there is a change to the rear. I have compared it to a 2011 side by side and there is a small difference but very subtle and you'd have to have an eye for detail to see it. I think they also changed the front bumper in 2016. As you can see I have a brush guard and the 2016 bumper looks like it would interfere with that.
The controller was adjusted to the factory authorized 19.6 mph limit (on standard tires). An easy 2 step process that only takes a minute or 2. My cart has 21" tires so top speed was actually 23-24 with NO degradation in torque.
I also have a 2000 TXT converted to 48v. The two carts are vastly different in how they drive and I urge you to refrain from making a snap judgement when first driving the RXV. I found myself liking the RXV more and more over time.
A year ago this month, Bob tuned my cart in person which I recommend if possible. I can't speak for him as to what he does but it is much more than just removing restrictions. Acceleration and regen braking are also tuneable. Regen is especially important when your in the 20s and low 30s. He can tune the cart to how you like it to drive but IMO you should have logged some time on it before hand so you know what you want from it. I loved the cart before but after Bob's tuning it is awesome! Disclaimer: How you perceive the RXV will vary by the environment you operate in IMO. Not as impressive in the flats of Florida as the small hills of the Atlanta area.

The cart as pictured will run 32mph easily. I have seen 36mph on a slight downhill. It is very stable at those speeds but I had a professional align it and it has dual action rear springs. All suspension components were inspected/replaced at build up. I haven't gone that fast with any significant weight on the rear seat. At those speeds stopping is an issue.

Summary: You need a mid 2012 or later RXV with the curtis controller. EZGO model years are June to June so mid 2012 is ruffly Jan. The majority of these carts come with 4x12v batteries. 6x8v conversion is available which I recommend. When Bob did my cart it was an 18 mile round trip to where he was. After the trip the batteries were still at 80% capacity remaining and the cart still hit 32mph no problem. 6x8v Trojan T-875s at the time were 2.5 years old.
Thank you! Great info.

Point well taken about RXV's driving personality. I have a 2000 TXT "shuttle" (not lifted) that I've had since new, and I converted it years ago to 48V etc... Runs 27 (which is as fast as you should want to go in that cart - at least mine...) Range is pretty modest, though I've never logged it to see, but it's fine for what I use it for (6x 8v batts) - large neighborhood transportation, flat ground of South GA. So this is my frame of reference - the 2000 48V TXT Shuttle.

My observations when first driving the 2019 RXV (New cart, but had larger tires - speed would hit about 23 if I recall) are as follows:

Crawling along (I shoot photographs of animals - tend to try and "sneak up" on things from time to time by inching forward...) did not work very well on the RXV. It was kind of an on / off switch type of power delivery used like that (which I'm sure nobody else does...) Elec. brake also clicks on / off a lot which wildlife sometimes doesn't care for. Not a huge deal though.

Had great accel, but once it hits it's top speed, it just stops - sometimes slows a bit - then goes a bit, etc... I take this to be the RPM limit and possibly Regen kicking in and out or something along those lines - I could get used to it, not a problem - just a difference from a good old DC cart I guess.

I liked the front suspension - A LOT. My TXT rides like there is no suspension - like the frame is welded to the axels. Front suspension is the worst. I've replaced all absorbers in last year or 2, rear springs also. I think the dealer told me the front springs tend to not wear out so those might be original - they look new to me, but the whole underside of my cart (believe it or not) looks new. Always been garaged and I don't put many miles on it, rarely in the rain etc... Maybe I should replace the front springs, but the harsh ride is probably the biggest reason I'm considering replacing the cart. I know taller sidewall tires (I've got 10" 50s on there and run about 12 psi in them) would help the ride, but don't want to put any more $ into this cart unless I'm sure I don't want to replace it.

I like the fact that simply re-programming the controller on the RXV can get good neighborhood speeds out of it (from what I understand, Club Cars, and maybe the EZGO S4, require new controllers, possibly more - like my TXT did back in the day - still investigating that..). I'm well past wanting to set records for speed. I ripped a number of parts off my TXT years ago because it was very fast (in the day - would hit 40 with the windshield folded and no wind!). Didn't want anybody else driving it and getting hurt driving it as it was crazy squirrely. So only thing in there now that isn't stock is a motor and controller (and the 48v setup obviously). 27-30 in the RXV is perfect for our use if it can be done w/out significant wear on the controller or detrimental driving characteristics.

That's a great looking cart you've got! What are your impressions of the MadJax rear seat? Is it the aluminum one?

Thanks for taking the time to chime in.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
Thank you! Great info.

Point well taken about RXV's driving personality. I have a 2000 TXT "shuttle" (not lifted) that I've had since new, and I converted it years ago to 48V etc... Runs 27 (which is as fast as you should want to go in that cart - at least mine...) Range is pretty modest, though I've never logged it to see, but it's fine for what I use it for (6x 8v batts) - large neighborhood transportation, flat ground of South GA. So this is my frame of reference - the 2000 48V TXT Shuttle.

My observations when first driving the 2019 RXV (New cart, but had larger tires - speed would hit about 23 if I recall) are as follows:

Crawling along (I shoot photographs of animals - tend to try and "sneak up" on things from time to time by inching forward...) did not work very well on the RXV. It was kind of an on / off switch type of power delivery used like that (which I'm sure nobody else does...) Elec. brake also clicks on / off a lot which wildlife sometimes doesn't care for. Not a huge deal though.

Had great accel, but once it hits it's top speed, it just stops - sometimes slows a bit - then goes a bit, etc... I take this to be the RPM limit and possibly Regen kicking in and out or something along those lines - I could get used to it, not a problem - just a difference from a good old DC cart I guess.

I liked the front suspension - A LOT. My TXT rides like there is no suspension - like the frame is welded to the axels. Front suspension is the worst. I've replaced all absorbers in last year or 2, rear springs also. I think the dealer told me the front springs tend to not wear out so those might be original - they look new to me, but the whole underside of my cart (believe it or not) looks new. Always been garaged and I don't put many miles on it, rarely in the rain etc... Maybe I should replace the front springs, but the harsh ride is probably the biggest reason I'm considering replacing the cart. I know taller sidewall tires (I've got 10" 50s on there and run about 12 psi in them) would help the ride, but don't want to put any more $ into this cart unless I'm sure I don't want to replace it.

I like the fact that simply re-programming the controller on the RXV can get good neighborhood speeds out of it (from what I understand, Club Cars, and maybe the EZGO S4, require new controllers, possibly more - like my TXT did back in the day - still investigating that..). I'm well past wanting to set records for speed. I ripped a number of parts off my TXT years ago because it was very fast (in the day - would hit 40 with the windshield folded and no wind!). Didn't want anybody else driving it and getting hurt driving it as it was crazy squirrely. So only thing in there now that isn't stock is a motor and controller (and the 48v setup obviously). 27-30 in the RXV is perfect for our use if it can be done w/out significant wear on the controller or detrimental driving characteristics.

That's a great looking cart you've got! What are your impressions of the MadJax rear seat? Is it the aluminum one?

Thanks for taking the time to chime in.
I have the same cart (series version). Also bought new and converted to 48v some time ago. Its been a good one. Over time I have grown to like the RXV much better. Way more powerful in stock trim. Doesn't slow on hills which is important to me. Also love the auto parking brake.

Precise control at very slow speed terrible compared to the TXT. Large tires on the RXV makes it worse. Very minor irritation for me.

RXVs, just like sepex DC carts have rpm limiters in the controller software. It is obvious when top allowable speed is reached. I remember the times when CC and EZGO started selling sepex carts. At first people here thought there was something wrong with them because they had to floor the go pedal to maintain speed DOWN a hill. Bob's programing allows the cart to go as fast as power allows. There might still be a limit but you'd have to down a steep hill to hit it I suspect.

I have the Madjax genisis 250. I got it because of the access to the bagwell. My TXT has the flip over rear seat and enclosed bagwell which we use a lot.
I think I would go with the Elite Max 5 if I were to do it again.

Look familiar?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB020002.JPG (507.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
I have the same cart (series version). Also bought new and converted to 48v some time ago. Its been a good one. Over time I have grown to like the RXV much better. Way more powerful in stock trim. Doesn't slow on hills which is important to me. Also love the auto parking brake.

Precise control at very slow speed terrible compared to the TXT. Large tires on the RXV makes it worse. Very minor irritation for me.

RXVs, just like sepex DC carts have rpm limiters in the controller software. It is obvious when top allowable speed is reached. I remember the times when CC and EZGO started selling sepex carts. At first people here thought there was something wrong with them because they had to floor the go pedal to maintain speed DOWN a hill. Bob's programing allows the cart to go as fast as power allows. There might still be a limit but you'd have to down a steep hill to hit it I suspect.

I have the Madjax genisis 250. I got it because of the access to the bagwell. My TXT has the flip over rear seat and enclosed bagwell which we use a lot.
I think I would go with the Elite Max 5 if I were to do it again.

Look familiar?
Thanks - Elite Max 5 looks like a nice option for sure.

Just curious if your TXT rides as rough as mine does (are those 10" 65 tires you have on it?), or do you notice a much smoother ride on your RXV?
Old 11-03-2019, 09:50 AM   #8
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

nope. TXT rides nice. It would get difficult to drive with rear passengers on the original 8" turf tires. Changing to 205/50-10 Duro (DOT) tires helped a lot but still have to be careful with weight on the back. Other than bushings and brakes, cart is original suspension wise.

RXV has none on that squirrelyness at any speed tho I haven't exceeded about 24mph with any significant weight on the back.

Both carts ride nice on DOT standard paved roads. On the cart paths, that are paved but not to DOT standards, the RXV can be harsh at times because of the short sidewall tires. The side walls are so stiff, I run 5 Psi only on the front tires. 225/30-15
Old 11-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #9
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
nope. TXT rides nice. It would get difficult to drive with rear passengers on the original 8" turf tires. Changing to 205/50-10 Duro (DOT) tires helped a lot but still have to be careful with weight on the back. Other than bushings and brakes, cart is original suspension wise.

RXV has none on that squirrelyness at any speed tho I haven't exceeded about 24mph with any significant weight on the back.

Both carts ride nice on DOT standard paved roads. On the cart paths, that are paved but not to DOT standards, the RXV can be harsh at times because of the short sidewall tires. The side walls are so stiff, I run 5 Psi only on the front tires. 225/30-15
Interesting on your TXT ride...

When I step onto front / side of my TXT, or pull on the front top support, there is very little "give" in either front wheel. The RXV I borrowed had a lot of "squish" to the particular wheel I was pulling on / weighting down. I don't think that's the tires - I think it's in my suspension - but like I mentioned, the shock absorbers are all new. I also replaced all the bushings a while back, and the rear springs are new also (though the rear suspension is not quite as harsh as the front). I'm sure taller sidewall tires will help a lot, but still seems like the suspension is way too stiff. Don't have a use for 2 carts and I think I'm just ready for something new after almost 20 years (!) with my TXT, so not too excited about troubleshooting further with it.

So really it's down to the Club Car "Onward" or the RXV - so I guess old schoolish DC cart with a "jeep" type look or AC drive cart with a more sports car type look... Just not sure how much I'll have to mod the CC to get 25-27 MPH out of it, and of course the RXV appears to be able to do that no problem in stock form with some controller programming (I'd be using the larger tires anyway). Decisions decisions...
Old 11-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I can see the Onward is tempting. I'm starting to see them in numbers around here but not approaching RXV numbers yet. Probably could slap an Alltrax in there and be in the low 20's. There's the warranty thing tho if buying new.

Another thought: The chargers that come with the RXV are crap unless the dealer upgrades them or you buy a used one that has been upgraded. The Onward has the ERIC charging system. No more obc's. The ERIC chargers are getting the same crap reputation as the EZGO ones.

To get straight answers about the Onward I think I would call David Hicks at Revolution (site sponsor). He knows the club cars and is happy to answer the phone apparently. Also he's a Ga. boy.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO