lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2020, 08:30 AM   #1
4toGo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Red face Canít find Tow/Run switch

Hello all, this is my first post. Thank you for allowing me to join. I am a beginner on golf carts, so, please bare with me. Iíve search the threads and have not found the help I need yet.

I purchased a 2004 club Car DS. If it helps, Serial number AA0340. The cart had no batteries but came with a written guarantee to run and it did. Being a novice I left it sit and now the batteries are dead. I followed procedures found on line to get them back to a state the computer is suppose to recognize they need charged, or at least I think I do and the (2) battery chargers I have will not kick on. I want to reset the OBC, BUT, I have no tow/run switch in the battery compartment. So, I cannot follow the reset procedures as outlined in the manual I found. Is there a different procedure I can follow to reset the computer?

I have 2 addition items, but fixing my charging issue has to come first. Just in case theyíre related.

1. A resister on the solenoid gets warm/hot when key is off
2. When I am driving it, it will run fine then once in a while it will just start slowing down. When I move the FNR a bit, it seams to pick back up. Should I just order a new FRN?

Thank you in advance for any advice. P.S. many years ago I was a new car dealership technician, so I do have a bit of skill however not used on a daily bases for many years.
4toGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Canít find Tow/Run switch

First off Welcome....Your cart is a 2003 (3rd and 4th numbers in the serial #)...You do not have a tow/run switch on a series cart...If the batteries are too low the charger will not kick on...You can run a jumper wire from the small negative terminal yellow wire on the solenoid to pack negative to get the charger to come on or charge each battery one at a time until the voltage comes up enough to kick on the charger...Another option is to bypass the relay in the charger assuming that it is a powerdrive charger..

The hot resistor usually means that the controller is bad but could also be a welded solenoid..Take off the resistor and check for continuity on the big terminals..If you have continuity the solenoid is welded..If not the controller is probably bad...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:53 PM   #3
4toGo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you, Iíll follow you instructions to check the solenoid and try to get the charger to kick on. Iím guessing then the resetting of the OBC is different or even not needed on this cart?
Old 08-21-2020, 10:56 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

What voltage is this cart? 36 or 48?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:14 PM   #5
4toGo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

48v. 6 8V batteries
Old 08-23-2020, 05:07 AM   #6
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Cool Re: Canít find Tow/Run switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4toGo View Post
Thank you, Iíll follow you instructions to check the solenoid and try to get the charger to kick on. Iím guessing then the resetting of the OBC is different or even not needed on this cart?

Sorry..I gave you some wrong info...My old brain short circuits now and then ... Forget what I said about the solenoid...You have a gray wire coming from the charge receptacle..Follow it to a yellow fuse connector...Disconnect it and run a jumper wire from the receptacle side of the gray wire to pack negative....This will supply the neg signal to the charger relay and it should kick on...
Old 08-23-2020, 08:31 AM   #7
4toGo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Again, thank you! Sorry I did not respond right away, I had to take off for a job I took on. Retired in 2016, so decided to wake myself up with a short term opportunity!

I will take your advice. That sounds simple enough. As a P.S. to my original post, I have a older power drive 2 Charger and Links charger. I bought the Links because it was a known good charger fairly new and a very reasonable price. Is there a OBC rest procedure for a Series 1 cart? Iíve looked and all I find is one saying switch the tow/run.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #8
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

To reset the obc on a series cart...

1.) Disconnect pack positive and pack negative connections
2.) Put vehicle in reverse
3.) Hold accelerator pedal all the way down until reverse buzzer stops
4.) Reconnect power
Old 08-23-2020, 09:04 PM   #9
4toGo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I followed your directions and afterwards the charger relay was clicking but the charger didnít energize.(this was new) Then I decided to check my plug-in and it was 124v. Then I did a bit more checking and found the amperage at the plug I was using was low. Replaced plug receptacle and breaker. Chargers both work perfect now. Iíve never had a plug and breaker have voltage and low amps that Iím aware of. This house in only 9 years old. I guess the charger drawing 15 amps when it starts taxes the circuit pretty hard.

Thank you! Your help got me part of the way and made me look deeper since the charger was clicking but nothing happening.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car